• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ir35 calculator to know when its not worth it to work

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to be paid at least minimum wage (plus holiday pay at minimum wage) for your work - so the figures are wrong.

I can’t, however, to work out what the figure will be as it would depend on your hourly / daily rate
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      You need to be paid at least minimum wage (plus holiday pay at minimum wage) for your work - so the figures are wrong.

I can’t, however, to work out what the figure will be as it would depend on your hourly / daily rate
      Yes this I know already. That's what I asked my umbrella company to pay me initially. I'll just get it up to £52.5k max income and bye bye.

Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by cwah View Post

Yes this I know already. That's what I asked my umbrella company to pay me initially. I'll just get it up to £52.5k max income and bye bye.

Simple.
        the tax tail wagging the dog...

I understand you might decide to take some time off, and that monetary milestone represents a decision point.
        But not earning money because you don't want to pay tax is crazy.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

the tax tail wagging the dog...

I understand you might decide to take some time off, and that monetary milestone represents a decision point.
          But not earning money because you don't want to pay tax is crazy.
          I'll just refuse the current contract unless they pay for employee national insurance.

Gives clarity on what to expect and how to negotiate.

At a 46% tax rate I just don't have enough motivation to work. I'll claim the furlough scheme instead. Or get benefit.

Comment

I'll just refuse the current contract unless they pay for employee national insurance.

Gives clarity on what to expect and how to negotiate.

At a 46% tax rate I just don't have enough motivation to work. I'll claim the furlough scheme instead. Or get benefit.
            are you trolling?
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

are you trolling?
              These were examples. I may not do that. My point from the start is that I'm not going to work for half salary.

Comment

These were examples. I may not do that. My point from the start is that I'm not going to work for half salary.
                What about 53%?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

What about 53%?
                  Around 66% would be a fair amount I'd say. This is incidentally the amount that should be given if I didn't have to pay employer national insurance.

I'll look toward negotiating that for my next contract. Or when my pension allowance is filled up if I'm still with the same contract.

Comment

Hello

I found out the previous calculation was wrong. Income tax and employee NI are calculated AFTER the employer NI has been computed. So the net tax rate is slightly lower:
                    Total income Tax rate Note
                    £9,564 0.50% Apprenticeship levy
                    £9,564 to £12,571 26.30% 25% National insurance + apprenticeship levy
                    £12,571 to £50,270 46.30% 42% Basic rate income tax + national insurance + apprenticeship levy
                    £50,271 to £150,000 56.30% 50% Higher rate income tax + national insurance + apprenticeship levy
                    At £150,000 61.30% 55% Additional rate income tax + national insurance + apprenticeship levy
                    Still very bad. But better than originally thought.
                    Last edited by cwah; 6 May 2021, 15:45.

Comment

Hello

I found out the previous calculation was wrong. Income tax and employee NI are calculated AFTER the employer NI has been computed. So the net tax rate is slightly lower:
                      Total income Tax rate Note
                      £9,564 0.50% Apprenticeship levy
                      £9,564 to £12,571 26.30% 25% National insurance + apprenticeship levy
                      £12,571 to £50,270 46.30% 42% Basic rate income tax + national insurance + apprenticeship levy
                      £50,271 to £150,000 56.30% 50% Higher rate income tax + national insurance + apprenticeship levy
                      over £150,000 61.30% 55% Additional rate income tax + national insurance + apprenticeship levy
                      Still very bad. But better than originally thought.
                      you sure about that?
                      If you earn over £150k the marginal rate starts to go down. The figure you have is the tax AT £150k not over £150K.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X