• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ir35 calculator to know when its not worth it to work

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point. I've edited to "at £150k"

I'm not too concerned about that because that's not type of income I can get from contract anyway

Comment

You are also missing the taper at £100,000 where your tax allowance disappears
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

you sure about that?
        If you earn over £150k the marginal rate starts to go down. The figure you have is the tax AT £150k not over £150K.
        I love these figures posts. In all the time I've been here not one single one has ever been right.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I empathise with the sentiment of cwah's thread. Don't stop now

In the real world, many people are working barely to scrape by. As contractors we have the privilege of being able to "buy back" our own time (by choosing not to work).
          Last edited by lecyclist; 7 May 2021, 08:34. Reason: typo
          ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            You are also missing the taper at £100,000 where your tax allowance disappears
            Yeah I didn't add it but the 50% tax rate above this amount (£100k) is still correct. It's just it's removing the allowance benefit that is also taxed at 50%

Comment

Originally posted by cwah View Post

Yeah I didn't add it but the 50% tax rate above this amount (£100k) is still correct. It's just it's removing the allowance benefit that is also taxed at 50%
              So basically you haven't got a clue what you are talking about and you are trying to justify a table that I have shown to be completely wrong without even looking at it in details.

Now I could correct it but - nope - it just isn't worth the hassle as both the idea and the implementation are wrong.
              Last edited by eek; 7 May 2021, 09:25.

Comment

Here's a table showing a tax rate calculated, if that's what you are looking for:
                Total gross income Tax band Tax amount Total tax rate Comment
                £9,564 £9,564 £48 0.50% Apprenticeship levy
                £12,571 £3,007 £739 6.26% National insurance + Apprenticeship levy
                £50,270 £37,699 £15,730 32.86% Basic rate income tax + national insurance + apprenticeship levy
                £100,000 £49,730 £25,011 41.53% Higher rate income tax + national insurance + apprenticeship levy
                £125,140 £37,711 £18,179 47.71% Higher rate income tax + national insurance + apprenticeship levy + removal of personal allowance
                £149,999 £24,859 £12,503 48.14% Additional rate income tax + national insurance + apprenticeship levy
                £200,000 £50,001 £27,290 49.75% Additional rate income tax + national insurance + apprenticeship levy
                I've included the impact on the total tax rate by removing the personal allowance of £12,571. Is it what you are looking for? It does not make the previous table incorrect though

Comment

Here's a table showing a tax rate calculated, if that's what you are looking for:
                  Total gross income Tax band Tax amount Total tax rate Comment
                  £9,564 £9,564 £48 0.50% Apprenticeship levy
                  £12,571 £3,007 £739 6.26% National insurance + Apprenticeship levy
                  £50,270 £37,699 £15,730 32.86% Basic rate income tax + national insurance + apprenticeship levy
                  £100,000 £49,730 £25,011 41.53% Higher rate income tax + national insurance + apprenticeship levy
                  £125,140 £37,711 £18,179 47.71% Higher rate income tax + national insurance + apprenticeship levy + removal of personal allowance
                  £149,999 £24,859 £12,503 48.14% Additional rate income tax + national insurance + apprenticeship levy
                  £200,000 £50,001 £27,290 49.75% Additional rate income tax + national insurance + apprenticeship levy
                  I've included the impact on the total tax rate by removing the personal allowance of £12,571. Is it what you are looking for? It does not make the previous table incorrect though
                  Again wrong - but I won't point out where because it's utterly worthless.

Comment

I don't see what's wrong calculating that. I used these number to decide to quit my current contract inside IR35 to get into one outside IR35 at a 10% lower rate after 1 month in based on that. Feels like a great decision!

Comment

I don't see what's wrong calculating that. I used these number to decide to quit my current contract inside IR35 to get into one outside IR35 at a 10% lower rate after 1 month in based on that. Feels like a great decision!
                      Really? You don't need anything to decide to do that.

Employer NI alone is worth more than 10% and that's before you factor in expenses.

The difficult decision is when the difference in rates isn't 10% but when inside IR35 pays 25% (or more) extra.

Comment

Working...
                      X