• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Engagment options effect on mortgage elligibility

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engagment options effect on mortgage elligibility

So i've been offered work ("inside", fixed term contract on a day rate) and have a choice of 3 engagment options for this work as follows:
    1. PAYE via agency (includes holiday pay on top)
    2. Umbrella from approved list (with higher rate than 1.)
    3. Ltd Co (with higher rate than 1.)

I'm fully aware that there are lots of pros and cons to the 3 options but I want to focus soley the mortgage choice and cost that I might have in approx 6 months time with each of the options.

All of the options would be starting from now (so I wouldn't have x years of accounts for example with 3.)

I see major general downsides to 3. so doubt that makes much sense. It really comes down to merits of options 1 and 2 for choice of mortgage options.

I have heard that umbrellas are better because even if i had multiple clients I would have had continous emplyment.
    I'm mindful that umbrellas "commission" could affect the amount that you can borrow.
    I've heard that umbrellas represent a permanent job and so get you past the self-emplyment hurdles with the lenders but I've also spoken to a broker who said lenders know who the umbrellas are and still treat you as self employed if you are employed by an umbrella.

Keen to get a contractors view particularly from anyone whos been there, done that recently.

Phone up a mortgage broker and ask them
    https://cfmortgages.co.uk/contracting-works/
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've actually already spoken to 2 brokers...

Neither of them seemed to be able to give a difinitive, it was something of an it depends. I get the impression they don't see too many FTC PAYE as didn't seem too clued up.

Also they both talked about getting a mortgage based on a "day rate" which I always used to think represented the higher risk /more exotic and therefore more expensive products.

hence keen to get contractors views...

Comment

How will contractors views help? We aren't there yet and know next to **** all about mortagages.

Try speaking to John Yerou at Freelancer Financials. He was pretty upbeat last time this nearly hit as he had it on good authority that lenders would still continue to lend of the day rate regardless of engagement. I can only assume that's because the process only looked at rate and didn't ask any more questions because being inside makes the affordability of a contract rate offer a problem.

See if he's had an update.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrC View Post
          I've actually already spoken to 2 brokers...

Neither of them seemed to be able to give a difinitive, it was something of an it depends. I get the impression they don't see too many FTC PAYE as didn't seem too clued up.

Also they both talked about getting a mortgage based on a "day rate" which I always used to think represented the higher risk /more exotic and therefore more expensive products.

hence keen to get contractors views...
          umbrella or FTC is the same as a job.
          Why would it not be?
          They might ask if you can think of any reason that circumstances will change in the xxx future. The answer to that is 'no'
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Why would it not be?
            They might ask if you can think of any reason that circumstances will change in the xxx future. The answer to that is 'no'
            Umbrella has a very day rate recorded against it that Banks can use in ways that a FTC salary can't be (don't ask for the logic behind it but there does seem to be a set of rules that still exist that results in far higher multiples being available if you go via a broker).
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Umbrella has a very day rate recorded against it that Banks can use in ways that a FTC salary can't be (don't ask for the logic behind it but there does seem to be a set of rules that still exist that results in far higher multiples being available if you go via a broker).
              I've just had an AIP (this is last week so very current). There were no multipliers, and no interest in me being a contractor.
              They did the affordability tests and as a company owner they wanted 2 years of SATR.
              I suppose you might be interested in other methods if you want to borrow more than the affordability check says you can. But I'd call that madness.
              I'm more than happy to get a mortgage based on £50k salary and if I want a bigger/more expensive house I just take more cash out the company as a deposit.

I have engaged an IFA since then but that's more because we might need to buy before we sell, so that gets more complex as my affordability tests fail when I have two mortgages.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Why would it not be?
                You could argue there's a difference of intention and how easily an employer can bin you off. Permanent= employment rights = it's hard to get rid of people!

Yes obviously the answer to that one is a resounding no. Always seems bizarre though that they would ask that when you have at best maybe 6 months left on your contract and you are talking about annual earnings not changing. Especially when the mortgage term is 20 odd years

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Yes, this seems to affirm my take away from the broker conversations that it's all smoke and mirrors and hence difficult to set yourself up to maximise your elligibility since you dont really know what the criteria are.

Comment

Originally posted by MrC View Post

You could argue there's a difference of intention and how easily an employer can bin you off. Permanent= employment rights = it's hard to get rid of people!

Yes obviously the answer to that one is a resounding no. Always seems bizarre though that they would ask that when you have at best maybe 6 months left on your contract and you are talking about annual earnings not changing. Especially when the mortgage term is 20 odd years
                    yeah. But when I had the conversation they knew I was a contractor, they just weren't that interested. They wanted to know if my personal income was going to drop. Which it isn't as I have a decent war chest, but they didn't give a hoot.
                    AIP of just shy of £450k based on my income of £50k and wife's income of £30k. And the fact that we have no debts (no car loan, lease etc.).

A mortgage that large over 15 years would be £3k a month. Which is a HUGE chunk of income, and not something I want to touch.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X