• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legal advice is needed: I wasn't paid for 3 days of my contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal advice is needed: I wasn't paid for 3 days of my contract

Guys, can anyone recommend a laywer who can provide me with a free legal (initial) advice on the situation when a Digital agency have not paid me for the last 3 days of my contract?

Your suggestions and contact details would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by strannik View Post
    Guys, can anyone recommend a laywer who can provide me with a free legal (initial) advice on the situation when a Digital agency have not paid me for the last 3 days of my contract?

Your suggestions and contact details would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
    Do you have timesheets or other proof that you were working for them for those three days. Get that and then ask Debt Collection and Debt Recovery from Safe Collections to chase it up (selected as they used to post on here).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Or dun them yourself. Up to an including small claims courts. Don't be surprised if they ignore you, or try to muddy the waters with some counter claim. Send the invoices and dunning letters by registered mail, and do not engage via email.

It's only three days. Most likely you'll get it because it will cost them too much effort and money to fight, but it will take time. So do the process and move on.

The Late Payment of Commercial Debts Regulations 2013 - Pay On Time
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I reckon that you are flogging a dead horse for the last 3 days, if you require a solicitor. The "free" 30 minutes, if you can get it, will cover a very basic explanation of contractual law, and a sentence of two of advice.

They will probably advise you to read the terms of your contract, and apply any remedies in it's term of payment clause(s).

Any action taken after that will require payment for their time and effort (time & materials).
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          I reckon that you are flogging a dead horse for the last 3 days, if you require a solicitor. The "free" 30 minutes, if you can get it, will cover a very basic explanation of contractual law, and a sentence of two of advice.

They will probably advise you to read the terms of your contract, and apply any remedies in it's term of payment clause(s).

Any action taken after that will require payment for their time and effort (time & materials).
          Which is why my advice was to throw a debt collection agency at it - it means it looks like you've got a process that you follow and that you mean business - and that may be enough to sort things out.

After that you could then hit them with a small claims court action but by that time you would be throwing good money after bad.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Have they refused to pay you or do they keep giving excuses? Or are they just not communicating to you anymore?

I've had to wait 3-4 months to get paid before. I probably called/emailed like 20-30 times.

I have a different approach though. I'd rather solve it personally than through a lawyer. Once you start treating it like a bad debt they will start treating it as a bad debt.

Comment

What are the payment terms, as defined in the contract?
              How long since you submitted your invoice?
              Did you have your timesheets signed correctly?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

There is likely to be a reason they haven't thst you aren't telling me. A one hour consultation won't help and its going to be far to expensive to chase 3 days so the lawyer option is a no go.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Do you have timesheets or other proof that you were working for them for those three days. Get that and then ask Debt Collection and Debt Recovery from Safe Collections to chase it up (selected as they used to post on here).
                  That is the point the agency is not approving my timesheets for the last 3 days, saying that they had to re-work some parts of my delivered design. But even if they had to re-work those parts it would take no longer than 1 hour and not 3 days. And they could have aksed me to do it before I left.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                    Have they refused to pay you or do they keep giving excuses? Or are they just not communicating to you anymore?

I've had to wait 3-4 months to get paid before. I probably called/emailed like 20-30 times.

I have a different approach though. I'd rather solve it personally than through a lawyer. Once you start treating it like a bad debt they will start treating it as a bad debt.
                    Yes, they provided an excuse saying that they had to-rework some part of my design. But that part would take no more than an hour to rework, and not 3 days...

Comment

Working...
                    X