• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month expense rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 month expense rule

Theoretically could I start working from home more to break the 24 month rule? So if I worked at the client's site for 2 years and then I change to 3 days from home - can I claim the expenses for the other 2 days?

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    Theoretically could I start working from home more to break the 24 month rule? So if I worked at the client's site for 2 years and then I change to 3 days from home - can I claim the expenses for the other 2 days?
    No.

It's not as simple as "2 years".
    It's also: At what point did you know you'd be there more than 2 years?

There's a bit more on it here:
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...k-overlap.html
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

There's someone on here who I'm sure has a macro set up that auto responds "What does your accountant say?".

I want a copy of that macro.

The 24 month rule (that is not really a 24 month rule) is contractor 101 stuff - you just need to read one of the *many* articles out there that explains it in simple terms to realise that what you're asking about is not possible.

Comment

Reading the sticky at the top of this thread might be a good start.

Tip. It's the 40% rule you need to be looking for.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          There's someone on here who I'm sure has a macro set up that auto responds "What does your accountant say?".
          Based on the OP's previous posts, he got rid of his accountant because he believed the accountant was making mistakes.
          (But then reading his other posts, he's moving to Canada because he hates anything to the left of the Daily Wail in the UK)
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            No.

It's not as simple as "2 years".
            It's also: At what point did you know you'd be there more than 2 years?

There's a bit more on it here:
            https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...k-overlap.html
            Well let's say I have a strong feeling I may get extended and want to prepare for it

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Reading the sticky at the top of this thread might be a good start.

Tip. It's the 40% rule you need to be looking for.
              I'm not sure that answers my question. If I start working from home after 2 years 3/5 days that is 60% of the week is it not?

Comment

No. Go read the stickies and you'll see how far off that comment is.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Theoretically could I start working from home more to break the 24 month rule?
                  Yes. You can easily break the rule if you claim expenses for travel to a permanent workplace.
                  I'm not sure that's the question you wanted to ask though.

So if I worked at the client's site for 2 years and then I change to 3 days from home - can I claim the expenses for the other 2 days?
                  No. Too late. You're over the 40% threshold already.

read up on it.... or is it too late?
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Bascially, if more than 40% of your time over the previous 24 months has been spent on site, you cannot claim.

Comment

Working...
                    X