• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35: Planning for April 2021 – should I stay or should I go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

This would assume that the contractor would be under the same working practices. However moving from a contract which allows subcontracting to one that doesn't is a substantial change in working practices.
    Only if the subcontracting clause was originally valid and not a fig leaf which wasn't supposed to be actually used
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

This would assume that the contractor would be under the same working practices. However moving from a contract which allows subcontracting to one that doesn't is a substantial change in working practices.
      Who said it allowed subcontracting? Quantum77 did not say that. Quantum77 said they would be subcontracting work from their mate. My emphasis.

Originally posted by quantum77
      contractor friend of mine is looking for work and asked if he could take the contract with them post April, and sub some of the work to me.
      Why are you struggling with this basic idea that clauses about subcontracting, assignment and substitution don't necessarily flow down?

Regardless, it's the relationship with the end client that matters, not some contractual words or the number of intermediaries.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Only if the subcontracting clause was originally valid and not a fig leaf which wasn't supposed to be actually used
        Thats true but the contractor in question is asking whether he should subcontract for his colleague, so in this case the clause would indeed be valid. In fact a clause isn't necessary because subcontracting would be an undeniable fact. He's simply worried if his colleague gets caught for IR35 HMRC would then go after the subcontractor, but my argument is the very fact that there is a subcontractor would be such a strong pointer outside IR35 an investigation would go no further.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Why are you struggling with this basic idea that clauses about subcontracting, assignment and substitution don't necessarily flow down?

Regardless, it's the relationship with the end client that matters, not some contractual words or the number of intermediaries.
          I didn't say that they did.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

BlasterBates and jamesbrown - thanks for the detailed debate. There's lot of info in there for me to digest.

I think at this point in time I'm going to finish with the client, and ask my contractor friend if he wishes to assist them alone.

Comment

My observation are:
              • Few contracts inside IR35
              • Recruiters are kicking their heels with not doing a lot of business
              • Recruiters are not putting rates/salary's on adds
              • Companies HR departments recruiting again (Employing Direct)
              • Price offered for roles are pretty low
              • One off relocation fees offered, usually 5k
              • Jobs come with conditions, i.e. 9 to 5, five days a week, and no remote work.
              I closed my ltd company and now looking for something local, prepared at 43 to take low wage to get into something new.

Does anyone know if there is an official method of submitting feedback to the gov?

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Lol View Post
                My observation are:
                • Few contracts inside IR35
                • Recruiters are kicking their heels with not doing a lot of business
                • Recruiters are not putting rates/salary's on adds
                • Companies HR departments recruiting again (Employing Direct)
                • Price offered for roles are pretty low
                • One off relocation fees offered, usually 5k
                • Jobs come with conditions, i.e. 9 to 5, five days a week, and no remote work.
                I closed my ltd company and now looking for something local, prepared at 43 to take low wage to get into something new.

Does anyone know if there is an official method of submitting feedback to the gov?
                What kind of feedback to what part of government?
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I would like to feedback what I have experienced as listed in my post.

I'm guessing it would be the treasury

Comment

What is your skillset?

There are plenty of outside contracts for people with mine but that opens up a different issue.

I don't particular trust any contract that is using a substitution clause as its chief method of making the contract outside - HMRC are going to be sniffing all over that topic for the next 2 years.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Lol View Post
                      I would like to feedback what I have experienced as listed in my post.

I'm guessing it would be the treasury
                      You could talk to your MP, who may write to a Treasury Minister but, realistically, you will get a meaningless reply (in other words, don’t bother). The HoL were collecting evidence recently, but even those formal/internal reviews are a waste of space. HMG’s view of success is purely related to the tax take and the cost of enforcement and not the wider cost to the supply chain about which they do not give two flying fooks, regardless of whether the criticism is coming from the private or public sectors, individual constituents, HoC or HoL committees or Uncle Bob.

Comment

Working...
                      X