• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Shuttle Bus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 Shuttle Bus

My client provides a free shuttle bus service from the nearest train station to their office. It is available to both contractors and permanents. I would like to know your opinions, would it put me inside IR35 if I take that shuttle bus 1-2 times a week?
    I understand that IR35 is more complicated than the usage of shuttle buses. But still would like to know if it is considered safe to use it?

Yes it would, stop immediately

In the case of Lister v Rimmer the shuttle bus was the No1 IR35 reason

Also if the client does free coffee from the vending machine - leave 50p in a cup nearby

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      Yes it would, stop immediately

In the case of Lister v Rimmer the shuttle bus was the No1 IR35 reason

Also if the client does free coffee from the vending machine - leave 50p in a cup nearby

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      I think you forgot the

BTW I would expense the 50p.....

Comment

Looking at that question I'd say the biggest threat to your IR35 status is you and you complete lack of understanding.

If you do the same as a permie surely HMRC will think you are a permie.

Best thing to do is walk it. Through pissing rain and driving snow, waving cheerfully as the shuttle bus swerves to hit the puddle drenching you as it passes. Permies wouldn't do that so it's a great flag you are way outside.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 11 June 2019, 07:03.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rapsberry View Post
          My client provides a free shuttle bus service from the nearest train station to their office. It is available to both contractors and permanents. I would like to know your opinions, would it put me inside IR35 if I take that shuttle bus 1-2 times a week?
          I understand that IR35 is more complicated than the usage of shuttle buses. But still would like to know if it is considered safe to use it?
          Send a substitute to use the bus and then you have a bulletproof IR35 defence. Darren Test is available if there is free parking nearby.

Comment

Direction and Control might be an issue here. Make sure the bus driver knows where he's going, and he sticks to the speed limit.

Comment

Originally posted by rapsberry View Post
              Take the free bus FFS.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

It's so easy to mock but I can completely understand that HMRC's approach to enforcing legislation that even they don't fully understand does lead people to second guess pretty much everything.

The bus is fine.

Comment

Lets extrapolate the question to the ridiculous, do you use ClientCo internet access, electricity or tulipter?
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    It's so easy to mock but I can completely understand that HMRC's approach to enforcing legislation that even they don't fully understand does lead people to second guess pretty much everything.
                    To some extent yes, but second guessing would indicate you have a clue and are just having difficulty matching up your knowledge against HMRC's legislation.. and there is this type of question.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X