• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you record mileage?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you record mileage?

I am based far away from my client and at the moment I do around 2800 miles per month.
    I keep a spreadsheet with traveled distances by day, in respect to the client.
    Is this enough? How do you do it?

I use Freeagent which tracks it for you. Just enter the mileage done at that claim and bob's your uncle. The software will manage the 10k limit etc for you and show the rate to be claimed automatically. Another reason you should be using FA if little things like mileage are causing you issues.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That said... Aren't you inside IR35?

https://forums.contractoruk.com/publ...ir35-role.html

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        That said... Aren't you inside IR35?

https://forums.contractoruk.com/publ...ir35-role.html
        Nope, this is other role.
        I dont use FA, might be easier, but I dont fee like paying for it.

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
          I am based far away from my client and at the moment I do around 2800 miles per month.
          I keep a spreadsheet with traveled distances by day, in respect to the client.
          Is this enough? How do you do it?
          yes a spreadsheet is fine. I used to do that before I got FreeAgent.
          Like any accounting/book-keeping, there's no rules as to how you do it. It's more about can you prove you did what you say if you're investigated.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Nope, this is other role.
            I dont use FA, might be easier, but I dont fee like paying for it.
            Get an accountant that offers it as part of the package. There is a fair chance they are likely to be cheaper than your existing one and you get FA.

That said, I've always said, if you like and trust your accountant then I wouldn't be moving just to save a few quid and get FA. Your call.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              yes a spreadsheet is fine. I used to do that before I got FreeAgent.
              Like any accounting/book-keeping, there's no rules as to how you do it. It's more about can you prove you did what you say if you're investigated.
              Well, I dont think anyone can. You have a business address and a contract say 300 miles away. These are facts.
              How do you prove you driven your car, or how do they prove you haven't driven it?

Comment

Being old school, and back before the likes of cloud accounting packages came along, I bought a mileage log book and kept it in the car. Logged the odometer for each trip and then once a month totted up the totals.

If I went back to driving every day, I'd probably look at something a bit simpler to use. There's probably a smartphone app out there now.

Comment

Well, I dont think anyone can. You have a business address and a contract say 300 miles away. These are facts.
                  How do you prove you driven your car, or how do they prove you haven't driven it?
                  Take photos of the odometer before and after each trip, and make sure the photos are location-tagged.

(That's not a serious suggestion, by the way.)

Comment

Many accountants offer Free Agent as a part of the price. Get away from those pesky spreadsheets!
                    Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Working...
                    X