• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How do you record mileage?"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by pscont View Post
    Nope, this is other role.
    I dont use FA, might be easier, but I dont fee like paying for it.
    Swap your business account to NatWest and you will get it for for free*

*Free in a Facebook/Cambridge Analyitca way

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    I used MileIQ
    Handy little app that records your travel. You can then swipe right if its a personal trip (doesnt get recorded) or swipe left for a business trip.
    Automatically works out your expense cost and provided a handy little print out detailing all of the journeys made in a month to present if needed.
    Once installed it also runs in the background automatically which was good for me as I often used to forget about recording the travel, this used to record all of them and then I just categorise them. The free version only lets you record 40 drives but its quite cheap (£5/month) so worth paying for the premium.

https://www.mileiq.com/

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Yeah, which eejit would run a contractor accountancy with just a crappy spread sheet
    I manged successfully for thirty odd years

Leave a comment:

• Wijay@WISAccountancy
    replied
    I am based far away from my client and at the moment I do around 2800 miles per month.
    I keep a spreadsheet with traveled distances by day, in respect to the client.
    Is this enough? How do you do it?
    Excel is fine for record keeping but ensure 10K miles are accumulated correctly for personal Financial year. In addition to recording miles, we advise clients to keep fuel receipts, Yearly MOT certs, Contracts as proofs in case HMRC wants to investigate.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Yeah, which eejit would run a contractor accountancy with just a crappy spread sheet
    Not SJD they have a portal now

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    I am based far away from my client and at the moment I do around 2800 miles per month.
    Do similar distances and this is how I do it for the last 8 years

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    This - you don't need Freeagent.

Leave a comment:

• Jings
    replied
    On the nice summer days when you decide to take your motorbike instead, do you remember to drop the mileage rate from 45p to 25p for that day?

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    Will FA correctly calculate the VAT that can be claimed back on the mileage rate, taking account the engine size etc?
    Yes it does. It will allow you to charge it back to a project too, should you so wish.

Leave a comment:

• washed up contractor
    replied
    Some people will go to the nth degree. First couple of years when I started, I used to religiously show start \ finish mileometer reading from the car then the actual miles claimed.

That was far too tiresome (see what I did there?) so, I knew my daily journey was, say, 200 miles x 5 days = 1000 miles @ nppm. Simples. Never had an issue with accountants or HMRC,either.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    Will FA correctly calculate the VAT that can be claimed back on the mileage rate, taking account the engine size etc?
    This page would indicate so.

https://support.freeagent.com/hc/en-...ng-new-mileage

Reclaiming VAT on fuel

You need to be registered for VAT and have a VAT receipt for fuel enough to cover the mileage travelled on this journey if you want to reclaim VAT on the fuel. You can't reclaim VAT on the full cost of the mileage travelled, only on the fuel element. So if you do have a VAT receipt, choose that you want to claim for this mileage, and enter the fuel type of your vehicle and the capacity of its engine. FreeAgent will work out the correct VAT reclaim for you.
    I would have thought you'd know that or are you asking to now prove that it's wrong or something?

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    I use Freeagent which tracks it for you. Just enter the mileage done at that claim and bob's your uncle. The software will manage the 10k limit etc for you and show the rate to be claimed automatically. Another reason you should be using FA if little things like mileage are causing you issues.

Leave a comment:

• simondolan
    replied
    The mind boggles. It's just so implausible....

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Well, I dont think anyone can. You have a business address and a contract say 300 miles away. These are facts.
    How do you prove you driven your car, or how do they prove you haven't driven it?
    If you have a spreadsheet with every journey on it that's evidence. They then have to prove you've faked it (which requires a greater burden of evidence), or it's a lie (ditto).

If you don't have a spreadsheet they simply say 'prove it' and you can't can you?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Well, I dont think anyone can. You have a business address and a contract say 300 miles away. These are facts.
    How do you prove you driven your car, or how do they prove you haven't driven it?
    It's more about diligence. If you show the inspector you have done what you should have they won't really be digging through every trip. If you have a new car with only 3k on the clock and claimed 10k mileage (or anything else that looks like a scam, these guys know what they are doing) then you're gonna get your pants pulled down. Do a decent job of it, show you are taking your responsibilities seriously and you are in the clear.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X