• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One divided payment missed on 2015/2016 Self Assessment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One divided payment missed on 2015/2016 Self Assessment

Hi Guys!

I am new here so hello to everyone.

I just found out that in my 2015/2016 Self Assessment my previous accountant missed £5000 dividend that I paid on 27.04.2015. I double checked and it wasn`t included in 2014/2015 either. But since now I am filling 2016/2017 I found that I have got £6000 dividend paid on 4.04.2016 that was included in 2015/2016 (but without the date, just all dividends were summed up). What I am thinking to do, is to include this 6000 in 2016/2017 Self Assessment instead eventually. Obviously I sent him a massage today and I will try to call him tomorrow but to not loose time, I am asking here, as I need to submit 2016/2017 by the end of Wednesday.

The question is if it can be done, as the date it was paid to my personal account was 4.04.2016?

Thanks in advance for some advice.

Regards

Originally posted by rumcajsr6 View Post
    Thanks in advance for some advice.
    Do your returns earlier and get an accountant that offers Freeagent with their service.

HTH
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I don't know the correct way to deal with this, but doubt you can simply include on this year's return. Bear in mind the taxation of dividends has changed significantly in the last two years. You will need your accountant's help on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Do your returns earlier and get an accountant that offers Freeagent with their service.

HTH
        The reason it is done so late is because my previous and current accountant turned out to be useless idiots and I paid them A LOT of money to deal with all those issues for me. I consider to sue them both but I need to find some solution out now to deal with this issue first.

Regarding different tax rules now, I think that HMRC wouldn`t mind as now there is a higher tax on dividends than in 2015/2016.

EDIT:

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-t...ns/corrections - YEAH, last minute... from now on I will be doing all my accounts myself, no one will take care of my money as good as me.

I have got to find some info on how to sue an accountant as those two idiots were just completely useless, I was constantly picking up their errors, that was just ridiculous...
        Last edited by rumcajsr6; 30 January 2018, 08:37.

Comment

Heartily recommend FreeAgent too. Just makes it all so simple. It's there in black (blue) and white for you.

Comment

The reason it is done so late is because my previous and current accountant turned out to be useless idiots and I paid them A LOT of money to deal with all those issues for me. I consider to sue them both but I need to find some solution out now to deal with this issue first.

Regarding different tax rules now, I think that HMRC wouldn`t mind as now there is a higher tax on dividends than in 2015/2016.

EDIT:

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-t...ns/corrections - YEAH, last minute... from now on I will be doing all my accounts myself, no one will take care of my money as good as me.

I have got to find some info on how to sue an accountant as those two idiots were just completely useless, I was constantly picking up their errors, that was just ridiculous...
            Before you go for suing, get yourself a good accountant so that going forward you know things are being done right. They can also review what has been done and might be able to unpick the mess.
            There's a link on the right of this page. Companies such as Dolan and Dynamo occasionally post on here (as do others)
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

from now on I will be doing all my accounts myself, no one will take care of my money as good as me..
              Ah, in that case we'll be seeing you again about this time next year no doubt......
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm not convinced that that follows.

My gut feeling is that there is come kind of penalty due for not declaring the SA accurately, and then interest on the tax that is overdue. You could ring them and ask what to do?

I'd think that it will need to be along the lines of completing this year accurately and then reopening the previous year(s) that are incorrect and revisiting those accounts.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

EDIT:

Forget suing anyone. That's just vanity and pride. Think about the business.

Get your current accountant to fix this. In that totally fails then get a new accountant (plenty of recommendations on these boards), but bear in mind, you have 2 days and they are all very busy, so it's going to cost you. Hence why I suggest using the one who knows your books.

Forget doing this alone. It's a bad idea and if you've let one accountant get you in this mess you're clearly not skilled or qualified to do it yourself.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X