• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

xmas party CUK article incorrect?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    The actual legislation makes light reference to attendees who aren't employees, and doesn't say they can't have their own £150 allowance - therefore resulting, I think, in the accountants assumption that they can.

Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003 (note the £75 figure shown was amended in later legislation to £150)

So I'd say it's £150 per head. Although I don't think you're really saving money at all if you go out looking for restaurants where you can pay that much
    Yes it is. I have an annual staff party for me. And my guests are wife and child. £450 is a good party. Accountant says it’s fine.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernHarrier View Post
      Like it - then I get a free day out and save on the corp. tax bill
      You can’t claim it as an expense. It’s after CT and you can’t have the VaT back either.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        You can’t claim it as an expense. It’s after CT and you can’t have the VaT back either.

A staff annual event is an allowable expense for corporation tax purposes and the VAT is recoverable (even if it exceeds the per head BIK limit).
        Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 6 December 2017, 17:51.

Comment

Visiting accountingweb it’s remarkable how different the answers look depending on the viewpoints of people
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Visiting accountingweb it’s remarkable how different the answers look depending on the viewpoints of people
            Indeed but doesn't help when people try and take the piss by funding family days out for which the rule was never designed.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I don't trust accountants to answer things like this properly, they usually give the most cautious answer when they don't know.

What I've done in the past when I have a query like this is call HMRC and ask them the answer. And then make sure I get the call reference number as the answer is logged. Over the years I've found HMRC to be fast and responsive, with a clear and unambiguous audit trail for if someone decides later that they don't it; unfortunately their staffing issues mean they have been getting a bit slower in the last couple of years.

I'm far too tight to pay for an accountant.

Comment

Working...
              X