• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dip in Level of Service from Nixon Williams

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    Strange isn’t it? Whilst they don’t appear to promote themselves on here they do have people who do, those referral fees must be quite an incentive.
    I don't promote them and they are not.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      Gorilla seem to get 90+% of the recommendations from this forum, despite the above, not giving any assistance on here, and being pulled up for some questionable marketing practices...but...like the Murphys...
      I wasn't aware of their ownership, to be honest. I can only speak of my own experience, but it's been night and day going from SJD to them. We can only recommend what we know, and I've found my particular accountant to be genuinely helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I don't promote them and they are not.
        How do you define promote ???

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
          How do you define promote ???
          I make a recommendation where a poster wanted one. Others mention their accountants as well.
          Admin has strict rules about promotion and I've been pulled up for putting links to IPSE and QDOS in my sig but that's all..

But anyway. Moving on.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 19 December 2018, 14:25.

Comment

I had an Agent who 'didn't promote' Gorilla but knew a lot of people in his network liked and used them, and to mention his name...

Private equity turns everything into poo - accounts or otherwise.
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Add me to the long list of unhappy clients.
              Not even using Vantage (*I could see no benefit to the end user, only benefit to NXW in the switch)
              They do like toi call the move to Vantage a free 'upgrade' - what I see is simply shifting the tiny bit of work my accountant does, to myself.

It's a shame, I have been with them near 9 years... but it is time to move.

Probably going Gorilla - has anyone made the change recently? Was it an easy transition?

Comment

Originally posted by bulletprooffool View Post
                Not even using Vantage (*I could see no benefit to the end user, only benefit to NXW in the switch)
                They do like toi call the move to Vantage a free 'upgrade' - what I see is simply shifting the tiny bit of work my accountant does, to myself.

Probably going Gorilla - has anyone made the change recently? Was it an easy transition?
                Gorilla has three ex NW senior members and I'd guess some more junior ones as well that aren't on the website so they'll certainly know where you are coming from which should help the transition somewhat.

Be prepared to do much of the legwork yourself with FreeAgent as well. You'll be entering all your own expenses, do your own invoicing and the like. I see that as a benefit rather than a shifting of work as I'm more in control and need to speak to my accountant less. Much better than the old spreadsheets system or leaving it for the accountants to do IMO.
                Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 December 2020, 17:49.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletprooffool View Post

Unsure if you know the full history, but the original owners of Nixon Williams sold the business in 2014 to a private equity firm (I worked for them between June 2008 and December 2016). From clients that I have spoken to since, I'm told that there has been a noticeable deterioration in service since the sale, it would be a remarkable co-incidence if the two weren't linked.

The original owners have returned to market backing this business, Alchemy Accountancy - we have taken on a few (now) ex-NW clients, and each has been happy with the transition.

Comment

As ex-NW myself, I too hear the same sentiment. It’s a real shame to hear that the service has deteriorated and since the PE acquisition, as back in the day it really was a superb place to work.

Naturally a business will change and evolve and presumably after the exit of most of the “old-timers” the culture will be vastly different.

The few ex-NW clients that have approached me have also been happy with the switch.

Brett

Comment

Haven't had a peep off Nixon Williams for months, not even to offer new salary advice for 2019. Dividend requests not being replied to for days, accountancy taking a week... are they shutting up shop?
                      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X