• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plumber wins employment rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do KUATB
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Do these people think that going forwards, the self employed will get the same rates AND rights? It seems to me they haven't realised that said rights will come at a cost to their rates.

Dicks.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Y
        Originally posted by chopper View Post
        Do these people think that going forwards, the self employed will get the same rates AND rights? It seems to me they haven't realised that said rights will come at a cost to their rates.

Dicks.
        You are presuming that those who are self-employed but working for one company for years, want to be self-employed.

I know from various people I've overheard that they don't as they want sick pay and other benefits.

Oh and some are upset they have to pay employers NI.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
          Was just going to post about this. Surely he's just shot himself in the foot by insisting he's INSIDE IR35 and will now pay taxes for the past 6 years?
          No he was self employed if he is found to be employed then the company employing is responsible for paying the tax. There is case law for this.

That is why IT agencies only use Ltd company contractors.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Not sure if this is a case of an employer forcing staff into self employment against their will or a case of somebody who does consider themselves self-employed but wants to have their cake and eat it.

Is this what we're expecting to happen with inside IR35 contractors now: if you want to tax us as employees then we want the same rights as employees?

Comment

that's really funny

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                Not sure if this is a case of an employer forcing staff into self employment against their will or a case of somebody who does consider themselves self-employed but wants to have their cake and eat it.
                Probably the former.

Otherwise he would work for himself without the branding.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Probably the former.

Otherwise he would work for himself without the branding.
                  Quoting from the BBC article, I'd like to know how this ruling was formed if he was "technically" self-employed. "Technically", he doesn't sound very self-employed at all. I'm not sure branding is necessarily a deciding factor, but more the fact that he had pretty much no control over when he works. I'm guessing he was also not allowed to work for other plumbing firms or take on his own customers directly either.

Just how much employer's NIC has Mr Mullins got away with not paying all these years?

Comment

After the ruling, Mr Mullins welcomed the clarity offered by the courts and said that he had already changed contracts with those who worked on a self-employed basis.

So it looks like Mr Mullins had a bad contract. Maybe he should have asked his accountant?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      So it looks like Mr Mullins had a bad contract. Maybe he should have asked his accountant?
                      If only he'd asked on here...NLUK would have set him straight.

Comment

Working...
                      X