• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plumber wins employment rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chopper View Post
    (OK, if he was really self-employed, then he would have paid full tax, but nowhere near the right NI).
    Is there much difference in self-employed NIC (class 2/4) and employee NIC? Obviously the employers NIC wouldn't have been paid but that's not his liability.

Comment

NI

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      Is there much difference in self-employed NIC (class 2/4) and employee NIC? Obviously the employers NIC wouldn't have been paid but that's not his liability.
      The class 2 won't be too much but class 4 would have been paid on his profits, so depends on the level of costs through his accounts. Whereas Employees NI will be assessed on income without any deduction for costs.

Comment

I think Uber drivers are different.

They do have the choice of which jobs they take and when they work, and they can work for other cab firms.
        Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          No he was self employed if he is found to be employed then the company employing is responsible for paying the tax. There is case law for this.

That is why IT agencies only use Ltd company contractors.
          I wasn't sure if he was self-employed or a Ltd.

The company now says that they've amended the contracts.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Branding

Wonder if they've removed the branding from vans and taken back their sweatshirts as well.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
              Might be better off in a separate thread.

I was listening to the head of Pimlico on R4 this morning. He was absolutely certain that the guy supplying his own tools was an indication of self employment - because HMRC had told him so. The plumbers lawyer had won on right of substitution not being present. As I understood the reporting of course.

There are more similar cases pending, I understand.
              Moved
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                  His solicitor has said

"The government really needs to look at this, It's really hitting people at the bottom"

I'm not sure many people would consider an £80k a year plumber 'at the bottom'.
                  Solicitors obviously would though!
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    I wasn't sure if he was self-employed or a Ltd.

The company now says that they've amended the contracts.
                    Ltd, it said.

Edit - IIRC, the guy already had a Ltd and ran his own affairs, then joined Pimlico and retained his existing structure.
                    Last edited by barrydidit; 10 February 2017, 13:12. Reason: thought of summat else

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                      Ltd, it said.

Edit - IIRC, the guy already had a Ltd and ran his own affairs, then joined Pimlico and retained his existing structure.
                      Hmm, the BBC says he was paying tax on a self employed basis.

Comment

Working...
                      X