• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE and Tax Avoidance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adubya View Post
    Slight side-issue, I'm a member of IPSE but haven't used their community forum.

Is the forum URL https://community.ipse.co.uk/ ?

I can't find a "register" link/button and my main IPSE userid isn't recognised. Any idea how I register for the forum ?

Thanks.
    As a member you will automatically be registered. Log in to the home page, and from your dashboard there is a link to the forums. This should take you straight in. The login you see when you go straight to the community URL is there for historical reasons, before there was single sign-on in place - logging in there can cause confusion. It's best to go via the IPSE home page. If you can't remember your login password, (your login is your registered email address) you can request to reset it from there.
    World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      So do BG, NTRT, etcetc.

At the time I went into the scheme, almost everybody was doing it.
      I think at the time people went for which ever solution other contractors they worked with went for...

That meant a lot of people at the same place were easy pickings for a smooth talking scam artist salesman....

Mal wishes to use the benefit of hindsight to criticize something he may have done himself if working at a different client back in 2000...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Oh never fear Mal, I have a thread reference to prove it... (not posted here as it's members only, but search for 'HMRC letter and undisclosed sums' and you'll find it).
        Mal's memory doesn't seem to be what it once was....

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
          Slight side-issue, I'm a member of IPSE but haven't used their community forum.

Is the forum URL https://community.ipse.co.uk/ ?

I can't find a "register" link/button and my main IPSE userid isn't recognised. Any idea how I register for the forum ?

Thanks.
          Yes, it's very easy to find, isn't it? Almost as if they don't want people to use it.

Go into 'My Account' and you'll find 'Community' on the left column. Click on that and you'll see your username and a green button stating 'Visit Community' - click on THAT and you'll get in.

There may be a quicker way but I haven't discovered it.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yes, it's very easy to find, isn't it? Almost as if they don't want people to use it.

Go into 'My Account' and you'll find 'Community' on the left column. Click on that and you'll see your username and a green button stating 'Visit Community' - click on THAT and you'll get in.

I recommend you book mark the forum index page so you can find it again.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              I recommend you book mark the forum index page so you can find it again.
              I did.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Once you've logged in you can go directly to the http://community.ipse.co.uk or at least I can.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  I think at the time people went for which ever solution other contractors they worked with went for...

That meant a lot of people at the same place were easy pickings for a smooth talking scam artist salesman....
                  We sometimes forget that loads of freelancers, contractors and small businesses owners can't be bothered to understand and deal with their tax affairs, so somebody offering an "easier" way of doing so which gives them more money will be looked on favourably.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
                    This is probably the most confusing thread I've come across in a while.... IPSE is there because some contractors must feel it has it's uses. Else it wouldn't exist in the market place, there would be no demand. Am I seeing this as too black and white?

I don't see it as a "Solution looking for a problem to solve" which is what quite a few sites seem to do. I'm sure if you play straight with HMRC they will play straight with you.

But I don't really earn enough to worry about getting involved in tax avoidance schemes, I see it differently as I'm only alive today because there is a Tax collecting system in place in the UK that paid for my cancer to be cut out.
                    OK, to try to clarify for you - PCG, now IPSE had great success for ten years or more keeping HMRC at bay for the members regarding IR35. The high water mark was obviously the Arctic Systems income splitting case. Membership has always been a bit of a no brainer for the average MyCo Ltd contractor really. Purely for the tax investigation cover. In this time, HMRC, HMG have learned a great deal about how to milk the MyCo contractors and the net is now tightening seriously. A number of members think that the change into IPSE, which was not, as far as we know, made with the blessing of any of the members has been a huge distraction. Despite questions being asked regarding the strategies success or failure the powers that be still give no clue as far as I can see, where the plan has been a success. Try the forum, you'll find a very small number of regular posters there and the majority of them are either current or past members of powers that be or are long time associates of TPTB. Sadly, what this means is that any dissenting voice or fresh thinking against the party line is pounced on and stifled by multiple posts from TPTB against you. Sad, but the organisation has had its day and within a few years it will be irrelevant to most of the current members, it seems.

Edited to add - PCG/IPSE has always recommended against avoidance schemes, (so have I) so it in public refuses to support the apparently small number of members affected. For Malvolio to hint or suggest otherwise is misleading to less experienced members, I feel.
                    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 31 December 2016, 12:07.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      Mal's memory doesn't seem to be what it once was....
                      But I do remember that in that thread I pointed the OP (who is still a member btw) at a thread on here that had, and still has, a high degree of relevance on the basis that the information on here was far more relevant and up to date.

Can't win, can I. Slated for getting it wrong and slated for getting it right...
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X