If you have generic questions regarding HMRC enquiries, this is the thread for you. If you have questions about your own enquiry or want to make contact with others who have used your loan scheme provider, look for the thread in this sub-forum.
The first thing to point out, however:
WE ARE NOT LAWYERS, ACCOUNTANTS OR TAX SPECIALISTS - research and find one that that's right for you
- Gather ALL of your documentation on the scheme, including ANY previous HMRC correspondence. Keep it safe.
- Contact your provider immediately, they will be the best source of information and support and will deal with HMRC on your behalf.
- If they don't exist Google the name of your provider - they may have changed their name and you might have missed the documentation. But now is definitely the time to get some independent advice from an accountant/tax firm.
- Be aware that you may need to appeal using Recorded Delivery within 30 days of receipt of your HMRC letter, follow the 3 bullets above to get advice on this aspect. At the very least reply stating that you disagree with the assessment. That puts the ball back in HMRC's court.
- Read EBT Overview
- Read Loans EBTS and other Trusts
- Read the BN66 thread.
- Learn about Closure Notices.
- Join No To Retrospective Tax (NTRT)
Here is a useful article in the Guardian regarding appeal letters. Tax error: Letter templates to challenge your tax demand
And here are examples of Appeal letters:
And for the avoidance of doubt:
The comments in response to this thread are for general guidance purposes only. Neither ContractorUK nor the contributors accept liability for any direct or indirect loss arising from any reliance placed on the replies.