• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Breeze91 View Post
    So the standard discovery period of 4 years for 08/09 ends April this year, which is why the letters are coming out now, to protect their position as they state. If the discovery period is now closed for previous years and you've not received an assessment or investigation for those years, would they then need to class you being involved in 'Tax Evasion' for them to investigate years previous to 08/09 up to a limit of 6 or 20 if criminal/deceitful activity is suspected?
    If i understand Michael correctly then I think they will try to pull back the other years with a COP 8. Doesnt seem as if they will just stop, if they think there is unpaid tax they will try to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by DarnEBTs View Post
      Hi All,
      I have been a lurker for a while and have got some great advise. So thank you all. I am in the same boat re 08/09 inquiry from Hector. Was with Edge. Got the standard appeal letter wording from Edge and sent to Hector who responded quite promptly I might add.

Edge have advised not to further respond to Hector as the letter states that they will do further enquiries and get back to me when appropriate. Is this indeed the best course of action? I would suppose so but some confirmation and views from fellow members woluld be appreciated. Many thanks.
      Yes, you've decided to appeal and you've done it within 30 days. Some basic advice when dealing with HMRC:

1.Do not ignore HMRC correspondence.
      2.Do everything via recorded delivery
      3.Make sure you have an audit trail (so don't use the phone to negotiate or get smart recording calls etc)
      4.You generally have 30 days to respond with info. Send after day 20 or so of 30. Prepare it earlier by all means but wait, just in case there are "developments". This will also give you time to change anything should you wish. There is no advantage to you if you send something earlier.
      5.If they ask for something (either for you to do something like attend a meeting or send something) check that you actually have to do it, i.e it is mandatory. If you are under no legal obligation then don't - they won't be asking for your benefit
      6.Research the 'system'. All of the HMRC investigation manuals and other procedures are online and available in black and white.
      7.If you are unsure SEEK PROPER ADVICE FROM A PROFESSIONAL. At some stage this is going to have to happen anyway

This might all sound a bit crazy, but they are out to get you for whatever they can - they have targets to meet and will not think twice about screwing you over.

Have a look at http://www.tax-hell.co.uk/wp-content...to-know-v5.pdf

Use the time now to organise a plan with other people who were on your scheme.

Comment

Excellent post, thank you convict (particularly the pdf - very informative).

I've added it to the original post (page 1).
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Notice of assessment letter received

i was on the end of one of these letters this AM :-/

Contacted EBT who replied within two hours confirming thousands of cases. Also they sent me and attached appeals letter [as documented extensively in this thread] to use for replying.

on initial receipt I was going to pay, but not now, no way !

i didn't know hmrc employ sidewinder tactics like this, it makes me very angry.

Comment

Sanzar

I emailed [email protected] and they instantly responded with guidelines and advice on what to do next

Comment

Will the loan remain outstanding?

When HMRC per year tax the EBT loans as if PAYE (is this how they are calculating their view of tax owed?) will the loans still be outstanding at the end?

Comment

Edge

Originally posted by 12345 View Post
                Hi All - just got the letter today. I know a couple of other people on the same scheme as I was and one person has not received the letter yet and the other got it last week.

I used Edge and my letter I believe is for 2008/9.

I am yet to contact Edge and ask for their advice - I have not actually seen the letter myself yet, my accountant just gave me the details (I was, thankfully, sitting down at the time!).

Happy to hear from anyone else from Edge - you can PM me if you want.

This is my very first post, so apologies for any school boy errors. I don't think Edge exists anymore. They have now changed name to Redstone, so I believe. It will be interesting to see what support they give us.

Comment

PM rights to get in touch with Micheal J Perry

Originally posted by 12345 View Post
                  Hi All - just got the letter today. I know a couple of other people on the same scheme as I was and one person has not received the letter yet and the other got it last week.

I used Edge and my letter I believe is for 2008/9.

I am yet to contact Edge and ask for their advice - I have not actually seen the letter myself yet, my accountant just gave me the details (I was, thankfully, sitting down at the time!).

Happy to hear from anyone else from Edge - you can PM me if you want.
                  Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  I'll ask Admin for PM rights for you costo.
                  Hi Could I also have PM rights as I'd like to contact Micheal. Thanks.

Comment

For those who used Sanzar

I have just set up a thread for those who used Sanzar Partnership/Solutions if you would like to join that specific group for support.
                    Thanks

Comment

Do not trust michael j perry

Had an exchange with this guy. He asked WAY too many questions without giving me anything in return. Including the "free" letter template he promised.

IMHO, he's either fishing or will report you to HMRC if you give him the chance. He wanted a grand just to engage.

Shark.

Would you trust a man with a hotmail address anyway?

Stay away.

Comment

Working...
                      X