• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you.

Originally posted by doncrolleone View Post
    Had an exchange with this guy. He asked WAY too many questions without giving me anything in return. Including the "free" letter template he promised.

IMHO, he's either fishing or will report you to HMRC if you give him the chance. He wanted a grand just to engage.

Shark.

Would you trust a man with a hotmail address anyway?

Stay away.
    I will not dignify this post with a detailed response.

Comment

I would like to point people to the behaviour expected on these forums.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...al-forums.html

You may not like Mr Perry's advice and facts are facts, but I do not expect slagging off on this forum.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Chods View Post
        If i understand Michael correctly then I think they will try to pull back the other years with a COP 8. Doesnt seem as if they will just stop, if they think there is unpaid tax they will try to get it.
        From SALF402 - Enquiries into Tax Returns: introduction

Once the time limit for enquiry has passed, HMRC will not be able to open an enquiry and subsequently amend a taxpayer's self assessment and will only be able to make a further (discovery) assessment in a case involving a loss of tax brought about carelessly or deliberately or where there has been an incomplete disclosure of information.

Comment

Edge EBT thread

Hello, I've started a thread for former Edge employees here

Comment

Appeal letter TRM

Originally posted by IPMAN View Post
            i was on the end of one of these letters this AM :-/

Contacted EBT who replied within two hours confirming thousands of cases. Also they sent me and attached appeals letter [as documented extensively in this thread] to use for replying.

on initial receipt I was going to pay, but not now, no way !

i didn't know hmrc employ sidewinder tactics like this, it makes me very angry.
            Hi
            Can you please send the appeal letter
            I am from TRM camp of 2008/09

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Vthomson View Post
              Hi

Thanks
              I've put it in the TRM thread.

Comment

Wording in the Appeal Letter

Originally posted by Vthomson View Post
                Hi

Thanks
                We should NOT include the statement in the appeal "I do not agree the figure issued.".

HMRC may concentrate on just this statement and ask us to confirm the loan amount etc.

The issue is NOT about the figure but that the amount (no matter what it is) is a loan and not a taxable income, hence we should at least eliminate the above statement.
                Last edited by anejnz; 27 February 2013, 09:30.

Comment

Originally posted by anejnz View Post
                  We should NOT include the statement in the appeal "I do not agree the figure issued.".

HMRC may concentrate on this statement and ask us to confirm the loan amount etc.

The issue is NOT about the figure but that the amount (no matter what it is) is a loan and not a taxable income, hence we should at least eliminate the above statement.
                  Well you don't agree to the figure do you? If it's not correct, you don't agree. What you think the figure should be (the amount you already paid that year) is a completely different question.

BTW, the above has been provided for free as professional advice. What professional Judgement are you basing your assertion on?

Comment

That appeal letter

It was impossible to guage how much would be written about a simple appeal application.

I have provided over 30 templates to contractors and it would have been less time consuming just to post the suggested reply to HMRC on the forum. However, there was an issue about non-disclosure and professional liability.

I have taken legal advice on this matter and now produce my SUGGESTED reply to HMRC on the understanding that it may not suit all cases and that I accept no financial or professional responsibility for reliance placed on it.

I WILL NOT ENTER INTO ANY DISCUSSION ABOUT THE SUGGESTED LETTER ON THE FORUM.

Assessments are still being issued by HMRC and the latest one I have seen was dated 20 February.

Here is the text of the reply:

YOUR ADDRESS

Date:
                    Your ref:
                    NI number:

HM Revenue & Customs
                    Local Compliance
                    Personal & CGT Compliance
                    Chailey House
                    Cardington Road
                    Bedford MK42 0YS

For the attention of Miss L J Stopp

Dear Madam,

YOUR NAME

I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated xx February 2013, a notice of assessment and tax calculation for 2008/09.

Please take this letter as my formal notice of appeal against the assessment.

I apply to postpone the further tax charged of £xxxxx on the ground that no additional taxable income has been agreed.

Kindly acknowledge receipt.

Yours faithfully,

………………………………….
                    (Signature)

Comment

Thank you Michael. It's short and sweet and does the job. I'm of the opinion that less is more if you know what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                      X