• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to remove a wife shareholder from a limited company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove a wife shareholder from a limited company?

Hello,

My wife has been a shareholder on my ltd company for around 3 or 4 years on a 50:50 basis, with me being the only director. Things have not been going well for quite a few months and one never knows. Just to get some information before is too late, how can one remove a shareholder in this situation from the limited company?

Is it just a matter of both of us signing a paper and sending it to my accountant or similar? If so, which paper would that be to have a look?

Thank you!

Poison? Tamper with her brakes?

Or possibly a stock transfer form. Or start a new company that's 100% yours.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

you can't "remove her" - she can choose to give you her shares or sell them to you at an agreed price

Comment

Surely just start up another ltd and work through the new one? (have to get agent on board here).

If theres money in existing ltd then you're screwed unless she agrees.... But if you're married and get divoreced you're screwed even if all the money is in your name.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Oh dear oh dear........

Why don't you ask your bloody accountant? Jesus.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Oh dear oh dear........

Why don't you ask your bloody accountant divorce lawyer?

FTFY

And if you haven't got a bloody accountant divorce lawyer, you're going to need one PDQ.

BrilloPad may be able to give you advice on the next steps.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Oh dear oh dear........

Why don't you ask your bloody accountant? Jesus.
              I have noticed you say this a lot. Agree its a valid avenue for him or her to use, but asking it on this site allows the 'many' to learn from some of the answers? what is the point of this forum if it is not to share and answer questions ?
              I wonder how many hours you have spent typing the same stock response? Maybe you could have used this time more constructively as you seem to have a lot of knowledge in the contractor market.

Comment

If she is awkward it may not be easy. Only the shareholder can decide to sell the shares. You would need to come up with a fantastic excuse without raising any suspicions as to why she should sell her shares to you.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex View Post
                  I have noticed you say this a lot. Agree its a valid avenue for him or her to use, but asking it on this site allows the 'many' to learn from some of the answers? what is the point of this forum if it is not to share and answer questions ?
                  I wonder how many hours you have spent typing the same stock response? Maybe you could have used this time more constructively as you seem to have a lot of knowledge in the contractor market.
                  NorthernladUK Comment generator

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                    you can't "remove her" - she can choose to give you her shares or sell them to you at an agreed price
                    This. Those shares are hers and you can't force her to hand them back to you, no different to she can't force you to hand yours to her.

If it's amicable, she may well agree to sign them over to you. If it's not, in practice typically your next course of action is to cease trading through the existing company and start up a new one that's 100% owned by you.

Comment

Working...
                    X