• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to remove a wife shareholder from a limited company?"

Collapse

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    neither wife thinks his input is exceptional enough to save a marriage.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Drei View Post

I have made plenty of those, pretty much everything she has is due to my wages, her career etc... I made it all happen too, pretty much fabricated her CV and used my contacts as references.
    I don't think you commiting fraud is going to be considered as an exceptional circumstance in your favour. You making it happen for your partner tends to be what good partnerships are about as well so think you way overstating your position.

I expect every high earner in an imbalanced relationship ever has said the same. My mate is going through a divorce with his wife who was going through uni when the met and is early in to a career and you sound exactly the same as him. Believe me, neither solicitor thinks his input is exceptional enough to matter a jot.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 10 November 2021, 23:13.

Leave a comment:

• Drei
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    The court does recognise imbalance and an "exceptional contribution" though.

I have made plenty of those, pretty much everything she has is due to my wages, her career etc... I made it all happen too, pretty much fabricated her CV and used my contacts as references.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Possibly. It depends on the individual circumstance. Age can be important too.

Any form of pre nup might help but no guarantee.

In essence both parties enter rhe marriage with their respective things and it is joint property. As is property gained through the marriage.

The court does recognise imbalance and an "exceptional contribution" though.

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    I don't understand how it is relevant unless you started your company way before you got married? All assets are 50/50 during divorce regardless of whether the shares in your name or her name.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    If you're on reasonable terms then you could buy her shares back but how you determine a fair market value is a challenge as the earnings ratio is a bit skewed in small companies compared to FTSE 100 firms.
    For the majority of IT contractors, surely the fair market value is the assets of the company (probably not far off cash in bank plus unpaid invoices)?

if the other party tried to take future earnings into account, you'd just close the company and start a new one for minimum costs.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Drei View Post
    I'm gonna revive this because it is the only post with the relevant information in it... I need to look into this too)

So the best answers are talk to accountant then to a lawyer.
    There's going to be circumstances particular to your situation that makes it difficult to give anything other than generic advice.

If you're on reasonable terms then you could buy her shares back but how you determine a fair market value is a challenge as the earnings ratio is a bit skewed in small companies compared to FTSE 100 firms.

Leave a comment:

• Drei
    replied
    I'm gonna revive this because it is the only post with the relevant information in it... I need to look into this too)

So the best answers are talk to accountant then to a lawyer.

Leave a comment:

• Nayab
    replied
    It may be possible to issue a different class of share that pays dividends at a higher rate than the existing ones. If you are the sole director, no problem in making such a decision. It means that while things are rocky, you can accumulate the capital (less expenses) until such time that it is forcibly removed from you.
    Whether you choose this avenue, or the option of a new limited company, if things get that far, you will have to pay out a lot.
    Good luck, I speak from experience.

Leave a comment:

• Major Hassle
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    The important time is neither the nisi nor the absolute. It is formal settlement of the finances. It is probably wise to ensure this is done before the absolute. Otherwise it can be done years later and anything post divorce still has some relevance.
    This - also at least with no legal aid it's a little bit harder to fleece you.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
    I am not a divorce lawyer, but if you do not have a pre-nup or another form of estate separation in place, she can go after all your assets, so starting a new company before getting a divorce is not going to save you. Start one after you get a divorce. But even then make sure you get a new client after you get a divorce, because if you "move" your current contract from the company you co-own to your new company, she can go after you claiming that you have diverted income on purpose.

Welcome to hell.
    The important time is neither the nisi nor the absolute. It is formal settlement of the finances. It is probably wise to ensure this is done before the absolute. Otherwise it can be done years later and anything post divorce still has some relevance.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Its for people to show off how important they think they are and get a bit of a stiffy abusing strangers on an internet forum.
    <sigh>

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Semtex View Post
    I have noticed you say this a lot. Agree its a valid avenue for him or her to use, but asking it on this site allows the 'many' to learn from some of the answers? what is the point of this forum if it is not to share and answer questions ?
    I wonder how many hours you have spent typing the same stock response? Maybe you could have used this time more constructively as you seem to have a lot of knowledge in the contractor market.
    Its for people to show off how important they think they are and get a bit of a stiffy abusing strangers on an internet forum.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    I am not a divorce lawyer, but if you do not have a pre-nup or another form of estate separation in place, she can go after all your assets, so starting a new company before getting a divorce is not going to save you. Start one after you get a divorce. But even then make sure you get a new client after you get a divorce, because if you "move" your current contract from the company you co-own to your new company, she can go after you claiming that you have diverted income on purpose.

Welcome to hell.

Leave a comment:

• RonBW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    You mean walk out of the wedding reception before last orders?
    The four stages of sex in a relationship.

Kitchen sex - you f**k everywhere, including the kitchen
    Bedroom sex - you f**k in the bedroom every so often
    Hallway sex - you walk past each other in the hallway and mutter "f**k you"
    Courtroom sex - she f**ks you in front of the judge

Leave a comment:

Working...
X