• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Team lunch business expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team lunch business expense?

My team of contractors are in the main, hard working.

I am taking them out for lunch around Christmas.

Does anyone know if I can put this through as a business expense via my limited company?

What did your accountant say?

Bearing in mind this isn't even client entertaining but I'd say yes you can but can't claim any tax relief on it.

Here are some useful articles...

http://www.companybug.com/entertainm...ted-companies/

Not sure why you want to pay lunch for a load of money grabbing lazy contractors to be honest. F' em. They'll be gone soon.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 March 2017, 12:08.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Never ask your accountant. He may say 'No'...

Originally posted by Saint John View Post

Does anyone know if I can put this through as a business expense via my limited company?
      I always did when I was a contractor. It's almost certainly not allowable ... but who cares?
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
        I always did when I was a contractor. It's almost certainly not allowable ... but who cares?
        Well you should, as a director, at least have a passing regard for rules of the game.

But yes it is allowable, it's just not claimable against VAT: that only works for overseas clients
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Saint John View Post

Can I come along too?
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Yes, valid business expense but not tax deductible I believe. No CT saving but still a saving putting it through YourCo rather than out of your post tax income.

Comment

It counts as entertainment and so not deductible for VAT and CT.

I've done similar years ago.

Oddly it was the VAT inspector on the course I went on that explained this and not my accountant of the time.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

John Falcon blogged about entertaining expenses this week here.

Comment

Have a company celebration and invite everyone, as long as it is less than (IIRC?) £165 per head, you're home and dry?
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    Have a company celebration and invite everyone, as long as it is less than (IIRC?) £165 per head, you're home and dry?
                    Pardon?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X