• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I want to pay tax twice!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since others are asking about the NI contributions, let me ask about your other plans...

Originally posted by dariog View Post
    I can not get a mortgage in the UK as non resident,
    OK, so how will putting money through a UK Ltd mean you can get a mortgage? Not sure you've thought that one through.

I want access to the NHS
    If you're not living in the UK any more, why would you want access to the NHS?

and I want to make use of my ISA allowance.
    Does the country you are currently living in not have any for of tax free savings? After all, that's the point of ISAs is that they are tax free, but you now want to pay tax twice before putting the savings away.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

...unless, of course, there's something you're not telling us.

Are you living outside the UK, or is it someone else?
      Is the person living outside the UK wanting to pay the mortgage/NIC/ISA for someone else?
      Have you heard of "money laundering"?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You can get a state pension forecast online instantly (once navigated through the government gateway, which those of us with self assessment or ltd company services set up such as VAT returns will already have access to):

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

I'd use that to check your NI contribution history to see if there are any gaps and how many more years you need to pay voluntary contributions for under the current rules. It even lets you know which years are only partial so not counting to the overall tally needed. Surprisingly good online service from gov for a change.

As for the other aspects I'd check info on the expat forums as I expect they cover similar scenarios where UK nationals resident abroad want to come back to blighty for the free NHS and wonder how to bend the rules with minimum of inconvenience on their part.

Attempting to do any of this via a ltd seems bonkers as it's your personal circumstances not the ltd that matter.

You do have an NI number? If not then it's all a non-starter anyway.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

There is so much wrong with the OP's thinking here that I don't know where to start.

But let's be clear about one thing at least, if you work overseas, in many cases you can pay voluntary NIC's to preserve your benefits like your state pension. The rates are surprisingly low to do this and there is a HMRC pdf booklet you can download telling you all you need to know. HTH.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            There is so much wrong with the OP's thinking here that I don't know where to start.

But let's be clear about one thing at least, if you work overseas, in many cases you can pay voluntary NIC's to preserve your benefits like your state pension. The rates are surprisingly low to do this and there is a HMRC pdf booklet you can download telling you all you need to know. HTH.
            It doesn't preserve NHS though. It is certainly cheap. I did it for one year a while back. It was something like £2.55 per week.

Comment

This tells you how to make voluntary NI contributions when abroad.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the constructive and helpful responses.

The advice on voluntary NI contributions was most helpful, that is something I will now put in place and resolves my state pension worries.

It was never my intention to do something "illegal" or "cheating the public purse" hence me asking the question on a public forum. Working overseas whilst a fantastic experience in life, really does highlight some of the benefits you leave behind. Peace to all

Comment

Working...
                X