• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I want to pay tax twice!"

Collapse

• dariog
    replied
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the constructive and helpful responses.

The advice on voluntary NI contributions was most helpful, that is something I will now put in place and resolves my state pension worries.

It was never my intention to do something "illegal" or "cheating the public purse" hence me asking the question on a public forum. Working overseas whilst a fantastic experience in life, really does highlight some of the benefits you leave behind. Peace to all

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    This tells you how to make voluntary NI contributions when abroad.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    There is so much wrong with the OP's thinking here that I don't know where to start.

But let's be clear about one thing at least, if you work overseas, in many cases you can pay voluntary NIC's to preserve your benefits like your state pension. The rates are surprisingly low to do this and there is a HMRC pdf booklet you can download telling you all you need to know. HTH.
    It doesn't preserve NHS though. It is certainly cheap. I did it for one year a while back. It was something like £2.55 per week.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    There is so much wrong with the OP's thinking here that I don't know where to start.

But let's be clear about one thing at least, if you work overseas, in many cases you can pay voluntary NIC's to preserve your benefits like your state pension. The rates are surprisingly low to do this and there is a HMRC pdf booklet you can download telling you all you need to know. HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    You can get a state pension forecast online instantly (once navigated through the government gateway, which those of us with self assessment or ltd company services set up such as VAT returns will already have access to):

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

I'd use that to check your NI contribution history to see if there are any gaps and how many more years you need to pay voluntary contributions for under the current rules. It even lets you know which years are only partial so not counting to the overall tally needed. Surprisingly good online service from gov for a change.

As for the other aspects I'd check info on the expat forums as I expect they cover similar scenarios where UK nationals resident abroad want to come back to blighty for the free NHS and wonder how to bend the rules with minimum of inconvenience on their part.

Attempting to do any of this via a ltd seems bonkers as it's your personal circumstances not the ltd that matter.

You do have an NI number? If not then it's all a non-starter anyway.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    ...unless, of course, there's something you're not telling us.

Are you living outside the UK, or is it someone else?
    Is the person living outside the UK wanting to pay the mortgage/NIC/ISA for someone else?
    Have you heard of "money laundering"?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Since others are asking about the NI contributions, let me ask about your other plans...

Originally posted by dariog View Post
    I can not get a mortgage in the UK as non resident,
    OK, so how will putting money through a UK Ltd mean you can get a mortgage? Not sure you've thought that one through.

I want access to the NHS
    If you're not living in the UK any more, why would you want access to the NHS?

and I want to make use of my ISA allowance.
    Does the country you are currently living in not have any for of tax free savings? After all, that's the point of ISAs is that they are tax free, but you now want to pay tax twice before putting the savings away.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    You can make voluntary NI payments in order to maintain your rights to UK state pension, but to put them through a Ltd company is odd?

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    You may find that it is not the payment of ni which is the enabler of the benefits you wish to obtain.

I personally am not particularly enthusiatic about the idea that cheating the public purse is ok. It is just stealing from everybody.

if you can maintain residence, engineered of otherwise, such as you do qualify that is fair enough.

you might be able to improve your pension entitlements cheaply with voluntary contributions.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I can't see it making financial sense if it's wrong or illegal TBH.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    If you live abroad for more than three months you don’t automatically qualify for NHS treatment.

Leave a comment:

• dariog
    replied
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will research this further with my accountant.

Possible or not, right or wrong, legal or illegal, this does make financial sense, thats not even up for debate. A small NI contribution for NHS access, instead of paying for global medical insurance is just one of many reasons.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Worst idea EVER. I don't even know where to begin. It makes no sense finacially.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
    @nluk the prevailing attitude on Aweb would flame OP to a cinder
    They would? I never thought that would be the case. Immigration boards would ban him and number would chew him up and spit him out alive. Looks like we are the soft touch nowadays

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    There are rules about where income is taxed - search double taxation agreements - and rules about liability and entitlement to pay NI. Unless you are inside those rules you cannot engineer these circumstances.

You need to take proper paid advice from an experienced accountant, and talk specifics rather than generality in an Internet fourm. Relevant issues will be time out of uk, ties to uk whilst gone, structure in host country, nature of residence in host country.

@nluk the prevailing attitude on Aweb would flame OP to a cinder

Leave a comment:

Working...
X