• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legal definition of 10 working days needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal definition of 10 working days needed

I have a small legal matter (subject doesn't matter to answer this question) If a decision was made on Tue April 5th and I need to be informed about that decision within 10 working days according to their own SLA. I received the decision on Tue April 19th does that count as 10 or 11 working days in legal speak?

It's only legal of lawyers get involved. Until then it's a negotiation and that will end a vast majority of issues.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      I have a small legal matter (subject doesn't matter to answer this question) If a decision was made on Tue April 5th and I need to be informed about that decision within 10 working days according to their own SLA. I received the decision on Tue April 19th does that count as 10 or 11 working days in legal speak?
      It may or may not include the day of decision and/or the day of delivery. It may depend on the exact language used in the SLA. There is some case law in this area.

Given the legal route would generally force compliance in the first instance and they have now complied I would expect that trying to use it to demonstrate breach may be tenuous at best.

This might help.

http://www.bloomsburylawonline.com/w...ers-Jargon.pdf

See page 11

Comment

Normally it is the number of days.
        So, Wednesday 6th is 1 x 24 hour period after Tuesday 5th. i.e. it's day 1.
        Tuesday 19th is the 10th day.

If the document said "reply within 1 day", that would mean by close of business on the Wednesday.

...oh, and if it was a genuine legal matter then your solicitor should be dealing with it, not you.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

19th is the 10th working day.

Does it make any difference to you if it is 10 or 11 days? You have your decision. If you are trying to wriggle out of something on small print then you will need a lawyer.

If you received a letter on the 19th, and it was not registered, then why not say you never received it? Proof of postage is not proof of delivery.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Proof of postage is not proof of delivery.....
            Except for HMRC of course.

I also seem to recall a case where a missive was left in the rubble of a destroyed building and this was deemed properly delivered.

Comment

In this case the decision was delivered by email, can't pretend I didn't receive it as I already replied to it (mistake I know)

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                In this case the decision was delivered by email, can't pretend I didn't receive it as I already replied to it (mistake I know)

Why was it a mistake unless you were trying to commit fraud?
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Normally it is the number of days.
                  So, Wednesday 6th is 1 x 24 hour period after Tuesday 5th. i.e. it's day 1.
                  Tuesday 19th is the 10th day.

If the document said "reply within 1 day", that would mean by close of business on the Wednesday.

...oh, and if it was a genuine legal matter then your solicitor should be dealing with it, not you.
                  +1. Granted it clearly doesn't seem to be the decision you wanted but I don't think arguing semantics is going to help you.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                  X