• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to deal with discrimination as a contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any time I've found a gig to be unsatisfactory for any reason, I've walked. And told them why on the way out.

My last contract (5 renewals so I'd done well there) the guy above me decided to publicly question my time estimate to do a task, while i was (ironically) working from home that day. I said it would take 2 days to learn the basics of an enterprise workflow system, and a day to integrate it into the product. One of my colleagues grassed him up to me the moment the words left his lips via instant messenger.

I came in the next day, took him aside and told him I knew what he'd been saying about me and I was not extending my contract. He was literally shaking (as was I).

Six months on and they still haven't figured out to do the thing I said would take 2 days.

We had one proper guru on the team (Microsoft MVP) and in addition to his sky high rate which was a few hundred a day ABOVE our already very well paid contracts, he just comes and goes as he pleases. Spends most of the day on the phone, writing his blog etc etc. At some point his fingers dance across the keyboard for a few hours and he's already done what would take us all a day or two to do. Nobody dare question it in case he packs up and moves on, and to be honest he's probably worth it. 15 years into my career and I still can't say I'm at that level yet.

Just remember, getting into contracting is in many ways about setting your own standards about what you will and wont accept. As long as you have other gigs you can find, let other people in permie land worry about the minutae of office politics.

A nice email detailing the extent of sexism (if you are certain that is the case) sent to your line manager and maybe his manager as you hand your notice in, may be the change you would like to see - obviously you will be on your way out with your head held high.

Comment

Your Money or Your Life!

Originally posted by nucastle View Post
      A nice email ... sent to your line manager ... as you hand your notice in, ... obviously you will be on your way out with your head held high.
      Sexual Discrimination is a battle cry. There is no point in using the term unless you want to start a fight.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        You two are a bit harsh on PC on this point.

His point about no WFH meaning no WFH gets paid is valid. If you're expected to be in, you're expected to be in or you don't get paid. I've seen people deliver what they thought should be delivered rather than what was asked for. Doesn't go down well if it doesn't meet expectations.
        EXACTLY. If client says no WFH onsite please, you can spout off about the contract saying xyz until you're blue in the face. Bottom line is then one of two things are going to happen:-

1. Suck it up, attend site and carry on.
        2. Kick off, client gives you the boot, or you leave.

Your rights as a contractor are of course to choose which one!
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          EXACTLY. If client says no WFH onsite please, you can spout off about the contract saying xyz until you're blue in the face.
          Phhht.
          You don't know the full story with regards to WFH, in this instance, do you?
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            Phhht.
            None of us do, but we know that working practices trump what's in the contract. If that flies in the face of IR35 that's one thing and something that should be raised as such; if it flies in the face of what you'd agreed at the interview in terms of working from home or other IR35-neutral items then it's more of a business decision about whether you feel the engagement is worth carrying on with.

As I said earlier in the thread, for that day rate many clients expect people on site.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              None of us do, but we know that working practices trump what's in the contract. If that flies in the face of IR35 that's one thing and something that should be raised as such; if it flies in the face of what you'd agreed at the interview in terms of working from home or other IR35-neutral items then it's more of a business decision about whether you feel the engagement is worth carrying on with.

As I said earlier in the thread, for that day rate many clients expect people on site.
              Day rate doesn't come into whether you work from home or not, work culture and security come into it.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

OP - when you asked to work from home, what was their stated reason for not letting you do so?

Or was it just a simple "no". If so, did you ask why?

As others have said, nothing so far screams sexism, other than you saying some men are allowed to, which is not in itself proof of sexism.

Have you been there as long as they have? Has there been any issues with your work at all? (whether you think them warranted or not)

Comment

Also what is important is the role performed.

If I was in an interim management role, it may be required to be in more often than these other guys, who may be doing a completely different role.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Day rate doesn't come into whether you work from home or not, work culture and security come into it.

Of course it does. Work culture is all part of it - if the culture is "if we're paying that much for someone, I want them in the office", then there's no WFH for the highly paid "guru".
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      Phhht.
                      Talking in general.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X