• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to deal with discrimination as a contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    What's it called when guys are being total arseholes to all other guys?

Because I've worked with lots of those guys!
    The only way to avoid arseholes is not to work with other people. Well, that's my solution anyway.

Some of the permies I worked with seemed to think the company had bought the right to treat you like crap.

Comment

Had it all, had one project manager who used to say "I fookin hate contractors".
      I used to remind him that he wouldn't have a team, if he had no contractors.

There was once another perm guy who loved waking past me each morning saying, "fookin contractor".

That ended after one day after the Director overheard, then the perm muppet added, "Yeh, well I used to be one, you know".

The Director then said, "Well you weren't a proper one like Mark, you only ever managed to get one contract, then couldn't get another".

Unfortunately, goes with the territory.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        What's it called when guys are being total arseholes to all other guys?

Because I've worked with lots of those guys!
        arseholeitis, applies to both sexes

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          The only way to avoid arseholes is not to work with other people. Well, that's my solution anyway.

Some of the permies I worked with seemed to think the company had bought the right to treat you like crap.
          Many companies do. I worked for one that paid you for 5 x 8 hours a week but treated you as an employee 24 x 7. Then the managers got all stroppy when people changed phone numbers and left mobile phones switched off.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Probably getting way off topic here, but is it any better in the banks in the City, where a much larger proportion of the workforce are contractors?

Most of the places I worked had a fair few contractors but we were very much in a minority.

Comment

Probably getting way off topic here, but is it any better in the banks in the City, where a much larger proportion of the workforce are contractors?
              No, we are all total winkers
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Most of the places I worked had a fair few contractors but we were very much in a minority.
                I have seem disputes between contractors and permies in the city. In every case the contractor gets sacked. Even if the permie is being a racist, sexist twunt.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I have seem disputes between contractors and permies in the city. In every case the contractor gets sacked. Even if the permie is being a racist, sexist twunt.
                  Yep, first rule, don't go toe to toe, with the perms ever, unless they are holding a blood soaked carving knife, or a smoking gun.

HTH.

BIDI.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    West India Quay has some deep water. Just saying.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      West India Quay has some deep water. Just saying.
                      Apparently it's only 23 feet deep...

The West India Docks: The docks | British History Online

Slow day on the gig today I am afraid
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X