• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD price increases

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Sweet Jesus! Is that before VAT, I'm paying the same I was when I moved to my current accountants 3 years ago, £72 + VAT for a first rate service!
    Indeed. Though, to be fair, they also complete my spreadsheet for me, I just send them the paperwork. I'm also a fat lazy contractor (with apologies to FatLazyContractor.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
      £140 to £155/month.

I agree with the "Don't look at the cost, look at the quality" argument up to a point, but after almost 11 solid years of business I can't help but feel that's somewhat taking the mick.
      I broadly agree with the comments on quality vs. cost, but that's pretty steep IMHO. Afterall, SJD is a big outfit, so I'd expect the average standard to be high but the quality to vary somewhat. I'm surprised they can sustain that with decent competition (Hi Louisa ) around £90-120 ex VAT. If you can get a quality service for less, why wouldn't you?

Comment

Simples. Vote with your feet. There is no justification whatsoever to charge that much. We have seen recently in several threads, there is no correlation between fee and quality of service.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Simples. Vote with your feet. There is no justification whatsoever to charge that much. We have seen recently in several threads, there is no correlation between fee and quality of service.
          Still operating with a spreadsheet I think. Maybe this increase is to fund an online solution. Or more likely it's to feather the VC's nest.

Comment

I am 3 months in with Qdos accounting, happy so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
              Still operating with a spreadsheet I think. Maybe this increase is to fund an online solution. Or more likely it's to feather the VC's nest.
              Any decent investment in IT systems should reduce their costs due to automation and incrsased efficiency, so should pay for ifself. I think I go with the other explanation.

Comment

I'll be switching accountants I think. After over 7 years my dedicated accountant changed a while back and the service, for me personally, hasn't been the same so they cannot justify an increase to me.

Is it best to wait until MyLtd year end to switch? It's only a couple of months away.

Comment

That is my plan if I'm still trading at next year end.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
                    I'll be switching accountants I think. After over 7 years my dedicated accountant changed a while back and the service, for me personally, hasn't been the same so they cannot justify an increase to me.

Is it best to wait until MyLtd year end to switch? It's only a couple of months away.
                    Get your year end out of the way first. Some accountants would take you on and do the accounts foc, but most would charge. And you've already paid for them.

Comment

I must admit that's a lot. SJD got me out of a mess with a local guy so was hard pressed to leave. Now I have I certainly won't leave it so long next time. There are plenty of good accountants out there for much less. I maybe got lucky/cheated as the contracts I trsutednleft SJD and started Gorilla so I've got SjD experience and freeagent for half what SJD now charge and couldn't be happier.

If I was in your shoes I'd certainly be putting feelers out. Have a chat with Jamie at Gorilla and see if she can put your mind at ease.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X