• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD price increases

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by akhtara7 View Post
    Luckily i have my own reminders but I have lost confidence in SJD. I had a chance to move over to another accountancy firm at my last year end but was too lazy to do so.
    Gorilla is the one i was planning to go for based on some of the comments posted on this forum, I will look into Crunch as well, i like the dates being shown on the portal.
    Gorilla are, like us, a Freeagent partner. The overview on Freeagent has a tax timeline which shows you all your key due dates as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      I was much the same with my previous accountant - but moving to InTouch was simple. They picked up the mess the last accountant left me with, and moving to a monthly completed portal meant that I'm more in control of both company and personal finances.
      This ^^ in spades for me! I won't dis my previous accountant [much!] but feel they just weren't geared up to provide the services they promised. Intouch have helped me/my business recover, I will surely cast my vote in the coming awards!

We wont mention the great portal redesign swerve of July... but to be fair they DID listen to their users

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
        Gorilla are, like us, a Freeagent partner. The overview on Freeagent has a tax timeline which shows you all your key due dates as well.
        So does the InTouch portal - dates and (when calculated) the figures as well.

I also like the new month-end checks that are in there to make sure there's nothing too daft going on.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
          Indeed. Though, to be fair, they also complete my spreadsheet for me, I just send them the paperwork. I'm also a fat lazy contractor (with apologies to FatLazyContractor.)
          To palm through your paperwork, doesn't actually sound too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
            Still operating with a spreadsheet I think. Maybe this increase is to fund an online solution. Or more likely it's to feather the VC's nest.
            Precisely what I was thinking.

Comment

For me it's all about the service. I don't mind paying a premium price for a premium service but I ended up with abysmal service at SJD after my dedicated accountant left and was replaced by someone I wouldn't trust to run a bath, let alone my accounts (I did have excellent service up to that point but it seems that once the VCs get involved it's all about the margin).

I ended up following my accountant to Gorilla and haven't looked back. Twice the service for 2/3rds the cost. No manual spreadsheet and once you get over the slight learning curve of FreeAgent it's a doddle.

As per NLUK, giving Jamie @ Gorilla a call is well worth 10 minutes of your time.

I would advise though that whilst not strictly necessary it's worth trying to line it up with a year end, makes it a lot easier and minimises the risk of having to overlap payments.
              Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

Not wanting to stick my head above the parapets but, is this not a good time to start looking into doing the accounts yourself if you are kicking off over an increase?

So a little over £2k a year, doing the books myself factoring in the occasional cock up I make hasn't cost me anywhere near this figure.

The only way you will have complete control over yours company is if you do not delegate control to third parties
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Not wanting to stick my head above the parapets but, is this not a good time to start looking into doing the accounts yourself if you are kicking off over an increase?

So a little over £2k a year, doing the books myself factoring in the occasional cock up I make hasn't cost me anywhere near this figure.

The only way you will have complete control over yours company is if you do not delegate control to third parties

Technically we are all third parties that our clients delegate control to. Mine delegate to me because I've spent the last 15 years building an expertise that's highly sought after in the industry. They come to me because I spend the time researching, learning and refining the technologies and implementations I build which they don't have the time or expertise to dedicate to themselves. I also expect this from my accountants. I delegate control to them because they spend the time learning the rules, identifying and risk -profiling the strategies and generally have a hell of a lot more time to dedicate to the law around accountancy than I do.

£85 + VAT a month is nothing for that level of expertise and knowledge.
                  Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

At SJD I paid 132 for 2 years, then 150. Left shortly after the price rise.

Comment

Another price hike? They can go and whistle! I was paying (inc VAT) £132 and now it's £144. And one of their guys (who has now left to form his own acc co) make some mistakes.

I shall be shopping. IMO they're becoming like pimps, just treating us like cash cows, not a thought of any loyalty to long term customers.

qh
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X