• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD price increases

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
    This. Very much so. I was at a FreeAgent event last week and things are only going to get better as well.
    You mean an Android app for poor people?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DanielGenieAccountancy View Post
      By using an online system it makes the service easier to provide, none of these heavily formulated spreadsheets that always go wrong. That way you know your tax position is always correct.
      As long as the client is using the software correctly. Garbage in garbage out 'n' all that.

Generally speaking the software options remove a lot of the human error though I agree that clients tend to make.

I just love having everything in one place, rather than chasing clients for bits and pieces!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew@NymanLinden View Post
        As long as the client is using the software correctly. Garbage in garbage out 'n' all that.

Generally speaking the software options remove a lot of the human error though I agree that clients tend to make.

I just love having everything in one place, rather than chasing clients for bits and pieces!
        I agree, it does depend on the user. We have a dedicated team that train our clients how to use from the outset. That way ensuring they get the maximum benefit FreeAgent provides.

Having previously worked with spreadsheets, I have gone through the change too. Normally I don't mind change as long as it doesn't affect me, on this occasion though I was happy to embrace it with both hands!

Comment

Wow, what an increase.

So am I right in thinking its currently £120+VAT/month, and its going to increase to £140-£150+VAT/month?

Why the £140-£150 range and not a specific amount?

Its a bloody cheeky move, I'll give them that!

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
          £140 to £155/month.

I agree with the "Don't look at the cost, look at the quality" argument up to a point, but after almost 11 solid years of business I can't help but feel that's somewhat taking the mick.

Comment

Hi all,

Simon C here; I'm the CEO of SJD Accountancy and I thought that I would respond to this thread which started at the end of last week. I check Contractor UK several times in the average week, but alas not last Friday.

Firstly, any client of SJD that wants to discuss any aspect of our service I am more than happy to receive a Direct Message (DM) so I can understand viewpoints and address any possible concerns. There are many valid viewpoints already made which I will reference some in my response.

The first point to make is that no-one likes their fees being increased; its something that we consider very carefully; the last fee increase at SJD was made in January 2012, so come January 2016; that's some 4 years ago. So we don't increase our fees by £10 pcm each year (or anything like it) and that's a useful context to start with.

The second point to make is around choice of service. There are many choices of service a contractor can select in what is a competitive market of offerings; SJD offers face-to-face, email and telephonic advice. We offer all clients an unlimited amount of face-to-face meetings with their accountant - not many others offer that. We also have a large group of accountants, trainee accountants and account support staff based in a range of SJD office locations across the UK so we can be close to our clients, or our accountants can travel to meet their clients at serviced offices or at other locations convenient to their clients - who we appreciate have big demands on their time. The costs of these meetings and facilities is significant but it is part and parcel of our market offering. We understand that some clients in the market do not have this requirement and would prefer to use software normally associated with more limited support routes or select a company with relatively few qualified accounting staff - that's a valid choice and its appropriate for some - but its not the SJD offer. We will introduce technology for the benefit of our clients as the business evolves and in some cases we might get some gains in our own internal efficiencies which may help downstream on the cost side; but the main reason for doing it is to respond to our clients changing needs.

My final point is that about 85% of SJD's cost base is either within our people costs or related accommodation (the point on accommodation/office costs is linked to the above para). With our people; we need to Pay and Reward our people competitively and fairly; we need to invest in them so that they can develop their careers. If we don't do that we have too high turnover of our accountants as they move to other employers and the biggest headaches for clients (cited in many posts on this forum in general) is too frequent changes of accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon C View Post
              Hi all,

Simon C here; I'm the CEO of SJD Accountancy and I thought that I would respond to this thread which started at the end of last week. I check Contractor UK several times in the average week, but alas not last Friday.

Firstly, any client of SJD that wants to discuss any aspect of our service I am more than happy to receive a Direct Message (DM) so I can understand viewpoints and address any possible concerns. There are many valid viewpoints already made which I will reference some in my response.

The first point to make is that no-one likes their fees being increased; its something that we consider very carefully; the last fee increase at SJD was made in January 2012, so come January 2016; that's some 4 years ago. So we don't increase our fees by £10 pcm each year (or anything like it) and that's a useful context to start with.

The second point to make is around choice of service. There are many choices of service a contractor can select in what is a competitive market of offerings; SJD offers face-to-face, email and telephonic advice. We offer all clients an unlimited amount of face-to-face meetings with their accountant - not many others offer that. We also have a large group of accountants, trainee accountants and account support staff based in a range of SJD office locations across the UK so we can be close to our clients, or our accountants can travel to meet their clients at serviced offices or at other locations convenient to their clients - who we appreciate have big demands on their time. The costs of these meetings and facilities is significant but it is part and parcel of our market offering. We understand that some clients in the market do not have this requirement and would prefer to use software normally associated with more limited support routes or select a company with relatively few qualified accounting staff - that's a valid choice and its appropriate for some - but its not the SJD offer. We will introduce technology for the benefit of our clients as the business evolves and in some cases we might get some gains in our own internal efficiencies which may help downstream on the cost side; but the main reason for doing it is to respond to our clients changing needs.

My final point is that about 85% of SJD's cost base is either within our people costs or related accommodation (the point on accommodation/office costs is linked to the above para). With our people; we need to Pay and Reward our people competitively and fairly; we need to invest in them so that they can develop their careers. If we don't do that we have too high turnover of our accountants as they move to other employers and the biggest headaches for clients (cited in many posts on this forum in general) is too frequent changes of accountant.

One might make the point Simon that your business model isn't necessarily moving with the times. I have no need to see my accountant on a day to day basis, and cannot conceive of a scenario where I would need to see her, assuming that she is available on the phone or email. Where I did need to see her (I guess for restatement of accounts or similar in the event of major issues) it cold be arranged on an ad-hoc basis. These kind of requirements would suit a more virtual business with accountants working from home across the country and renting meeting space as and when necessary for client meetings rather than investing in bricks and mortar in the traditional fashion. You could also evidence this lack of moving with the times through the use of the antiquated technology SJD is still basing the business on, namely the spreadsheet used to track the accounts.

I'd also point out that good customer service is actually free. Making sure that responses are actually sent to queries, even if the response is to advise that the answer will come asap alongside meeting your promises on your website without the client having to remind you of the promises could be considered good business practice.

I appreciate that I work on the cutting edge of technology so get to see the collaboration and communication capabilities available nowadays in multiple clients and how they use them to reduce costs and improve communication but surely you have teams evaluating how you can make your model more efficient to provide better services to your customers and maintain your margins at the same time?

A great example of this; I'm writing this from an apartment in Tenerife where so far this week I've had two client meetings (1 audio and 1 video) and delivered a software tweak. No need to go to site, incur the expense of fuel, meeting rooms etc. and my clients are more than happy with the service.

I think it may be time to re-imagine the SJD offering or I can see customer churn and challenger businesses (the barrier to entry has been massively lowered with the advent of FreeAgent and modern comms) starting to increase their impact on your current model.
              Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

Hi all,

I miss this guy.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  I miss this guy.
                  You could keep up with his comings and goings here if you want. Won't be many comments about the forums and accountancy though...

https://twitter.com/simondolan?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

He's doing really well but it's not always a smooth ride..

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi all,

Wrong. I was subject to a price hike from £132 to £144 (inc VAT) last August. Have just checked my spreadsheet to confirm this.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      You could keep up with his comings and goings here if you want. Won't be many comments about the forums and accountancy though...

https://twitter.com/simondolan?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

He's doing really well but it's not always a smooth ride..

He is a legend, I think we all miss him! I certainly enjoyed working for him....

Comment

Working...
                      X