• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD price increases

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
    I'll be switching accountants I think. After over 7 years my dedicated accountant changed a while back and the service, for me personally, hasn't been the same so they cannot justify an increase to me.

Is it best to wait until MyLtd year end to switch? It's only a couple of months away.
    Problem is they don't do your paperwork until sometime after so could end up paying for a number of months more. Some accountants will charge you for early completion of paperwork. Check to see if it's a yearly contract split in to monthly payments as well.

Try speaking to a few new accountants. A good one will give you advice without pushing for a sale.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
      £140 to £155/month.

I agree with the "Don't look at the cost, look at the quality" argument up to a point, but after almost 11 solid years of business I can't help but feel that's somewhat taking the mick.
      Why £155 per month when the advertised fee is £120 per month? What extra are you getting for the strange £35 per month?

Seems very expensive.
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Running an Ltd will become more expensive because Govt is cracking down on people who use them as PSCs - this would mean that accountants get fewer companies on their books and will be most likely increasing charges to make up for shortfall.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Running an Ltd will become more expensive because Govt is cracking down on people who use them as PSCs - this would mean that accountants get fewer companies on their books and will be most likely increasing charges to make up for shortfall.
          Risky strategy for accountants. They could lose clients to a cheaper offering. It's getting cheaper and cheaper to do accounts and tax returns because of Free Agent.

Comment

In other words, nada.
            10% is a bit steep time to shop around methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              But there are loads of accountants out there and some aren't so niche, which means if your company stuff is simple and ours is, they can charge less.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Indeed. Though, to be fair, they also complete my spreadsheet for me, I just send them the paperwork. I'm also a fat lazy contractor (with apologies to FatLazyContractor.)
                I was much the same with my previous accountant - but moving to InTouch was simple. They picked up the mess the last accountant left me with, and moving to a monthly completed portal meant that I'm more in control of both company and personal finances.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

bye bye SJD

I've been with sjd for nearly 6 years and am planning to ditch them on my company's year end. I am paying 140 (inc vat) which i think is way too much and there service has dropped significantly since they were taken over. 140 is a lot since i do a lot of the work, via the spreadsheet, but some mistakes that they have made in my returns and forgetting to notify me of important due dates hasn't given me much confidence in them.

Comment

I pay £79 (including VAT) with Crunch and have had excellent service from them. There's no chance of missing any key dates as you see them every time you log into the portal.

Comment

Originally posted by dingdong View Post
                      I pay £79 (including VAT) with Crunch and have had excellent service from them. There's no chance of missing any key dates as you see them every time you log into the portal.
                      Luckily i have my own reminders but I have lost confidence in SJD. I had a chance to move over to another accountancy firm at my last year end but was too lazy to do so.
                      Gorilla is the one i was planning to go for based on some of the comments posted on this forum, I will look into Crunch as well, i like the dates being shown on the portal.

Comment

Working...
                      X