• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I caught by IR35 or not ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I caught by IR35 or not ?

I started working as a Ltd Company contractor for a client via an agency about 4 months ago. Recently I received one of those letters from my agency about the new HMRC Reporting regulations where they ask for personal details for all non-PAYE workers.

I guess this is to make it easier for HMRC to chase IR35. I've read a lot about IR35 and am still not 100% sure if I fall outside or not. I would appreciate opinions whether I'm likely to be caught or not ? Here's my case for falling outside:

I don't get paid for any time off for sickness and holidays.

I don't receive any other employee benefits, e.g. company pension.

I only receive payment once I have submitted an invoice, so the payment terms reflect those that exist between commercial companies rather than those that exist for employees.

I opted out of the Agency Workers Regulations (AWR).

I have to provide public liability insurance & professional indemnity insurance as part of my contract.

I also operate my Ltd Company for other business, e.g. courier work directly, which is not via an agency.

I am VAT registered and submit VAT invoices for payment of my services.

Regards,
    Peter

*NorthernLadUK to wardrobe*

Comment

Originally posted by Reckoner View Post
      I started working as a Ltd Company contractor for a client via an agency about 4 months ago. Recently I received one of those letters from my agency about the new HMRC Reporting regulations where they ask for personal details for all non-PAYE workers.

I guess this is to make it easier for HMRC to chase IR35. I've read a lot about IR35 and am still not 100% sure if I fall outside or not. I would appreciate opinions whether I'm likely to be caught or not ? Here's my case for falling outside:

I only receive payment once I have submitted an invoice, so the payment terms reflect those that exist between commercial companies rather than those that exist for employees.

I have to provide public liability insurance & professional indemnity insurance as part of my contract.

I also operate my Ltd Company for other business, e.g. courier work directly, which is not via an agency.

Regards,
      Peter
      The two things are not related. IR35 depends on your contract and your working arrangements. The agency reporting requirements are a sperate legal requiremtn from HMRC on them. Your choice is to comply or walk from the contract. The next gig will ask for exactly the same things.

You should get your contract checked by one of the recommended advisors on here and make sure your working arrangements are such that they don't contradict your contract (assuming it is IR35 friendly, if it isnt get it changed.).
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Given that you don't know whether you're inside or out, how have you been paying yourself for the past 4 months? I assume your accountant does your payroll? In what way have you instructed them to operate your payroll? How much salary are you paying yourself?

Comment

Regards,
          Peter
          Doesn't the Peter Principle mention something about incompetence? Coincidence?

Another one for General me thinks.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Regards,
              Peter
              There are (currently) three key "pillars" of IR35 - mutuality of obligation; Supervision, Direction and/or Control; and Right of Substitution - which have little relevance to your list above.

Suggest that you read up about IR35 - there's a guide on the right IR35 Legislation - Advice, Help and Information for UK Contractors , or IPSE have a good guide for members. Get your contract reviewed, and be vigilant in your working practices. Take out insurance.

Comment

Yes you are caught.

Haven't read the OP's post though, just assumed...

Comment

If the agency offers work can you refuse it? Can you terminate the contract at any time? Could you send in a substitute on your behalf if you weren't able to attend the contract? Are you financially responsible if you make a cock up? Do you provide your own equipment? Do you just get on with the work that you've been contracted to do without needing to be overseen by someone in management?

If the answer to all the above questions is yes and that's a genuine reflection of the way that you work and not just what's written into a contract then you will be outside IR35. If you can answer yes to some then have a read of one of the IR35 guides that are available. If you've been drawing dividends from your company for the last 4 months then I would get reading PDQ
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    Given that you don't know whether you're inside or out, how have you been paying yourself for the past 4 months? I assume your accountant does your payroll? In what way have you instructed them to operate your payroll? How much salary are you paying yourself?
                    I have been paying myself a salary of £640/month and taking the rest in dividends. I have instructed my accountant to operate my payroll accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                    X