• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Termination without warning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only been binned once by a client, they ran out of money.

The conversaion went something like:

"There's been a cock up in the accounting for your contract. We'll pay you up to today but that's it. Been great working with you, don't come in tomorrow."

I'm back working for them again now, 4 years later. Budgets are still an issue and after an initial 3 months and a 3month extension, it's all being done on a month by month basis with no guarentees.

Edit : Got made redundant from the Permie Job I took to fill in whe contracts dried up during the recession.
    Last edited by DaveB; 4 August 2015, 15:32.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I always assume that I can be DCT'd at any time. That's the nature of the game from my perspective and we're well rewarded for taking that risk. If you want notice periods and more guarantee of income then it's time to go and be a permie.
      Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        MoO has absolutely nothing to do with notice periods or time off. Jesus wept.
        Isn't taking a holiday exercising your MOO clause to tell the client "I won't be available to work these days", since the specific concept of holidays and time off isn't part of a B2B contract?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Not in my mind. That's an operational decision not an obligation. You already have the obligation to deliver the contract deliverables. Taking a bit of time out is discretionary(ish). MoO is about offering more work outside the parameters of the current contract, not how you manage your time in the current one.

From the website below.

For example, a contractor may be working on a project specified in the contract and the client then asks the contractor to do something outside of the scope of the original contract. If the contractor completes the task, this is evidence of mutuality of obligation.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 4 August 2015, 13:37.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Isn't taking a holiday exercising your MOO clause to tell the client "I won't be available to work these days", since the specific concept of holidays and time off isn't part of a B2B contract?
            Not in my mind either.
            Taking time off could fall under Direction and Control, if you have to ask the client permission for it.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I was only let go once. As a permie. Got made redundant. Apparently my old job is now in Mumbai. Or Glasgow. Or some other God forsaken place.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I was only let go once. As a permie. Got made redundant. Apparently my old job is now in Mumbai. Or Glasgow. Or some other God forsaken place.
                I thought they replaced you with an outlook auto-respond message saying "We don't have any tapes to change anymore. Why are you asking for a tape to be changed."...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Can someone please tell me how I put a poll up - I can't work out how to do it
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    Can someone please tell me how I put a poll up - I can't work out how to do it
                    Normally you can only do it at the point at which you create a new post. There should be a tick box at the bottom somewhere that says "Add a poll" or somesuch.

If you ask Admin or the Mods nicely they may be able to add one to this thread for you.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      Normally you can only do it at the point at which you create a new post. There should be a tick box at the bottom somewhere that says "Add a poll" or somesuch.

If you ask Admin or the Mods nicely they may be able to add one to this thread for you.
                      Thanks DaveB

Excuse me your Modness but could you please add a poll to the thread? Along the lines of would you enforce a notice clause in a contract if the client binned you without warning - then a Yes/No/Andy W option
                      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X