• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Termination without warning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Thanks DaveB

Excuse me your Modness but could you please add a poll to the thread? Along the lines of would you enforce a notice clause in a contract if the client binned you without warning - then a Yes/No/Andy W option
    too loose of a question, nluk will be all over it

Comment

Can someone please tell me how I put a poll up - I can't work out how to do it
      And this is our representation??
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
        too loose of a question, nluk will be all over it
        What sort of question would you suggest?
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          And this is our representation??
          Harsh but fair

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

What sort of question would you suggest?
            the problem with notice clauses is that although you might technically be able to enforce them, most contracts state that the client doesn't have to offer work on any particular day during the contract - so although you can enforce the notice period (as in, the contract still exists for another week/month) the client can still choose to not give you any work on those days so the notice clause doesn't really mean anything

if you're set on a yes/no answer, question should maybe be

have you ever had a contract terminated without warning/notice

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
              if you're set on a yes/no answer, question should maybe be

have you ever had a contract terminated without warning/notice
              This seems right to me.

The point of this exercise is to show the differences between contractors and permies, right? It's not relevant how we respond or would respond if terminated, what is relevant is to undercut their stupid comparisons. "Employee does this job and contractor does the same job so they should pay the same tax" -- without regard to the fact that contractor has risks and costs employee doesn't, etc.

Maybe it could be broadened a little. Options:
              1. I have had one or more contracts terminated without warning / notice.
              2. I have never been terminated without warning / notice, but I have worked on contracts where the engager had the right to terminate without warning / notice.
              3. I have always had enforceable termination warning / notice protection on all my contracts.

Probably not a lot of us are in #1, but all of us are in #1 or 2, and permies are in 3.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                This seems right to me.

The point of this exercise is to show the differences between contractors and permies, right? It's not relevant how we respond or would respond if terminated, what is relevant is to undercut their stupid comparisons. "Employee does this job and contractor does the same job so they should pay the same tax" -- without regard to the fact that contractor has risks and costs employee doesn't, etc.

Maybe it could be broadened a little. Options:
                1. I have had one or more contracts terminated without warning / notice.
                2. I have never been terminated without warning / notice, but I have worked on contracts where the engager had the right to terminate without warning / notice.
                3. I have always had enforceable termination warning / notice protection on all my contracts.

Probably not a lot of us are in #1, but all of us are in #1 or 2, and permies are in 3.
                Exactly

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

I have managed to get a few companies to pay up the notice period no problems

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Isn't taking a holiday exercising your MOO clause to tell the client "I won't be available to work these days", since the specific concept of holidays and time off isn't part of a B2B contract?
                    I don't think so for the reasons other have said.

But... surely the fact that you only get paid for days worked, and they have no obligation to offer you work on any given day regardless of whether the contract is still ongoing, then there is a lack of mutuality with regards to obligation?

I.e. the lack of mutuality of obligation is in fact what is making the notice period (in that direction at least) redundant. The client is not obliged to actually offer you work during the contract period.

Although that does just sound like a zero hours employment contract.

Comment

I've agreed early termination by a few weeks in 3 contracts in the last 5 years, all due to the projects getting wrapped up early, in each case the client offered to honour the full term.

2005 I had a project completely cancelled, that one led to a contract termination with no notice, but since the project was canned on my recommendation I can't say it came as a shock. There was no offer of a notice period being paid that time.

Comment

Working...
                      X