• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Options for large amount of money in ltd company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

syrio this is a very good, open and frank discussion - thank you for sharing. I used to post here a lot over the years until I quit contracting last year. I had the same questions/thoughts as you did ... but not quite the same amount of funds in my company

There was some rule about how much of the Ltd Co funds you could invest before it would be seen as an investment company and hence not eligible for ER/BADR. I can't recall the %, though I guess it won't matter to you now.

One of the challenges you face is having most of your funds stuck in the company. This might suit you fine for now but it would really bother me because you can't spend all that hard-earned money freely, not unless you extract it and pay tax.

In my case I wanted the money out so that I could (a) enjoy it and (b) invest it outside of a Ltd wrapper. I had long planned the exit and so my money was just sitting in the company earning 0.05% interest, not invested in any way. I did have an inter-company loan I needed to clear up though. Eventually in my mid-40s I liquidated and claimed ER, taking all my £ out and investing the bulk of it into my own house (knocked it down and re-built it, managed the build etc) and into a couple of other properties (the one in zone 1 London is my favourite, I love it there). Some into National Bonds and a small % into shares.

My monthly costs are greater than yours due to family, but I find that all covered by the investments. I still work, just tinker around the periphery of a permanent job where I have enjoyed "quiet quitting" due to a meagre pay rise, but the paid holidays are a boon after many years of contracting. I'll probably resign as soon as they expect me to do any serious amount of work.

NowPermOutsideUK I have never felt that I'm losing out on that [amazing] day rate. It sounds like a lot of money when I talk about it (I was telling my kids today about it) but that time has gone and it elevated us to where we are now. Money is a means to an end and there is no point in earning if you don't have an end in mind. For me it's always been about time and about family - that's where we begin and that's where we will end.

Comment

Is nobody doing BTL?

Probably not the best time to buy (might be soon if the market drops) - but I've found it a good issuer of cashflow and tax efficient means of passing on to your progeny.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
        Is nobody doing BTL?

Probably not the best time to buy (might be soon if the market drops) - but I've found it a good issuer of cashflow and tax efficient means of passing on to your progeny.
        Personally, I think the BTL boat has not only already sailed it's holed below the water line and maybe sinking. I believe the smarter money now invests in property portfolios listed on the market as REITs. These company's shares can be held in ISAs and therefore provide a hands off tax free income with none of hassle of direct property ownership. Many good quality REITs are trading at 30% discount to the net asset value of the property in the portfolio. The yields are abnormally high as a consequence at the moment. A situation that's not going to last forever. Arguably a terrific SIPP investment at the moment.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post

I am trying to put some cash into equities now but each time I have thought about doing that there has always been economic doom forecasted !
          The next few months just might a fantastic opportunity to enter the stock market. It looks like the market is finally crashing.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

The next few months just might a fantastic opportunity to enter the stock market. It looks like the market is finally crashing.
            Yes. The bigger the doom, the bigger the opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

Personally, I think the BTL boat has not only already sailed it's holed below the water line and maybe sinking. I believe the smarter money now invests in property portfolios listed on the market as REITs. These company's shares can be held in ISAs and therefore provide a hands off tax free income with none of hassle of direct property ownership. Many good quality REITs are trading at 30% discount to the net asset value of the property in the portfolio. The yields are abnormally high as a consequence at the moment. A situation that's not going to last forever. Arguably a terrific SIPP investment at the moment.
              I've never invested in REITS because I prefer to own the asset with leverage, but I'm not keen on buying any more property now so have been dabbling in the stock market. Can you give us some REIT examples and what their yields are?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

The advantage I see, is you can do inter-company loans, i.e. very cheap leveraged investment in a Ltd. company wrapper; I assume REITs are personally owned and will be part of your estate?

Personally, I've seen some good returns on capital growth and income via BTL, pure luck I didn't buy further in the recent frenzy, but will definitely keep my eye out given current market conditions. The future issues I see are the potential new laws and the possibility of rent control, that will only distort the market further against renters however, I don't believe the gov can fathom the externalities of such proposals.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

I've never invested in REITS because I prefer to own the asset with leverage, but I'm not keen on buying any more property now so have been dabbling in the stock market. Can you give us some REIT examples and what their yields are?
                  REITs themselves are usually leveraged investments themselves. I suggest an individual doesn't really need more leverage. ~30% or more is the normal area of loan to asset value. Sometimes higher. If you google "HL followed by the REIT ticker" below you'll see what you're looking for at Hargreaves Lansdown page for each REIT. You might care to look at RGL, AEWU, SOHO, PHP, IHR for starters. They all operate different business models and there's many more besides.

For me, the opportunity to generate a high, fairly reliable tax free ISA income from diversified, professionally managed property portfolios is too good to miss. Presently often trading at a significant discount to asset value. And no headaches from a BTL portfolio.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

The advantage I see, is you can do inter-company loans, i.e. very cheap leveraged investment in a Ltd. company wrapper; I assume REITs are personally owned and will be part of your estate?

Personally, I've seen some good returns on capital growth and income via BTL, pure luck I didn't buy further in the recent frenzy, but will definitely keep my eye out given current market conditions. The future issues I see are the potential new laws and the possibility of rent control, that will only distort the market further against renters however, I don't believe the gov can fathom the externalities of such proposals.
                    I know BTL has been very common here. I have never been interested in BTL.

REITs are usually internally geared portfolios.

REITs are just listed shares and can be held just like any other share you might care to own in any wrapper you choose.

To invest in REIT shares outside your estate you can hold them in a SIPP wrapper where the investment is tax privileged the same way as any other listed share investment. HTH.

Comment

I originally had some separate REIT exposure via an ishares ETF (IUKP), but I ditched it a few years ago as I was no longer convinced of the case for it. REITs are listed, so I have exposure to them through my all world tracker funds anyway and I don't see the point in overallocating to them. Performance had also been disappointing, and continues to be disappointing.

The current yields on them do seem high, but that may be more of a warning sign that their borrowing costs are going to increase while we enter a recession and their rental income drops.

Comment

Working...
                      X