• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APN withdrawn

Originally posted by StellaFan View Post
    Just had a message from by appointed agent (as far as self assessment etc is concerned) and he reckons he's just got a letter stating my apns have been withdrawn. Hopefully I have the same when I get in!
    I sent objections last week but not sure if they helped or whether its a blanket withdrawal
    Good news, I was thinking this morning it has gone quite on the withdrawn front - I objected to a few APNs last week, wondering if the withdrawn's are for all years or just the ones with objections and also which objections?

final, has anyone who has had an APN withdrawn then received a replacement one?

Comment

Legitimate expectation

The tribunal referred to previous case law (R (oao Weston) v Inland Revenue, R (oao Esterson) v HMRC and R (oao Wilkinson) v Inland Revenue), in which Moses J said:

“There is no arguable fairness in [HMRC] pursuing that duty merely because, for some reason, they have failed to pursue their obligations in relation to the other taxpayers. Nor could it possibly be contended that there was unfairness to the other taxpayers since they had the good fortune … to have escaped the tax. But the mere fact that two taxpayers in arguably the same situation have not in fact been charged tax does not raise a case of unfairness without more.”

The above is a quote from Patel v CRC 2011.

The concept of legitimate expectation, i.e. I know HMRC do XYZ so why didn't I get that treatment, is a hot topic at the moment and this case whilst important is not the final word.

The point of this post is to ask if any of you have letters from HMRC for a period prior to a COP8 or 9A enquiry notice that relate to EXACTLY the same scheme you have such notices for, but which agree a position.

For example, if you submitted am 03/04 tax return with the information on loans etc and have a letter agreeing the return, that would be helpful.

Note: no letter and agreement by implication is less helpful but if sufficient weight can be brought, may be useful.

This will be part of BIG GROUP in due course but you guys are front and centre at the moment and if there are any legs here, it will help you as well.

Thanks in advance.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Just had a message from by appointed agent (as far as self assessment etc is concerned) and he reckons he's just got a letter stating my apns have been withdrawn. Hopefully I have the same when I get in!
        I sent objections last week but not sure if they helped or whether its a blanket withdrawal
        woah .... when you say the objections do you mean the MTM letters? and out of interest - you say your appointed agent - is that not still montp?

Comment

also out of interest

do they say why they are withdrawn or just that they are?

Comment

Originally posted by elpinar View Post
            woah .... when you say the objections do you mean the MTM letters? and out of interest - you say your appointed agent - is that not still montp?
            Yes, the MTM templates

Appointed agent is just the chap who did an SAR for me a couple of years ago

Comment

Yes, the MTM templates

Appointed agent is just the chap who did an SAR for me a couple of years ago
              Withdrawn or withheld subject to answers to representations?
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                Withdrawn or withheld subject to answers to representations?
                I'll know the exact wording in about 2 hours

Comment

There have been a couple of "random" withdrawals reported previously on the forum.

I say random because HMRC gave no reason, and this was prior to any representations being made.

It would be great if the latest withdrawals were as a result of the Montpelier representations but this needs confirming before people start getting their hopes up.

Comment

when did you post the letters ? i know mine got signed for last monday (27th)

Comment

Interesting - for what years if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Working...
                      X