• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the past, the General Commissioners heard cases that involved establishing facts and applying simple (tax) law to them. The Special Commissioners were used when the matters of law were likely to be complex.

The FTT operates to replace both Commissioners. In order to distinguish between simple and complex cases, there is an allocation exercise performed by the FTT to decide which category you case falls into. A complex case (which is probably what you are) gets a judge or perhaps a panel of judges with more experience and knowledge. Sometimes cases can go direct to the Upper Tier, but that's unusual.

An individual can apply directly to the FTT for a hearing. Where that is the case it is then usual for HMRC to produce a "Statement of case" within a given period. The applicant then has a period (42 days) in which to respond. These statements form the basis of the argument that is to be developed and made by an advocate before the FTT.

They are important because they have to contain at least a reference to all the main and subsidiary points that are to be raised. Missing something out may compromise your ability to bring it forward later in the process.

At this stage you will know whether HMRC is serious about it's absurd fraud allegation. Fraud is an offence that carries a higher burden of proof (on HMRC) and one that you have the right to challenge before you get to the substantive issues.

(Look at the Ingenious hearing in February where an HMRC suggestion of dishonesty was enough to derail the whole process and delay by 4 months whilst the individuals were given time to prepare a defence just on the off chance that HMRC might bring an explicit allegation later, rather than the implicit allegation the did make).

Where a large number of cases arguing essentially the same point emerge, the FTT administration system will look to group them. This is under the case management process and is sometimes referred to a section 18 move. This requires that all applicants agree to be bound by a test case(s). In the event that some people choose not to be bound, the FTT has the power to force compliance even though this may require a trip to an administrative court.

All of the above time limits, administrative processes, case management etc are subject to checks and balances, individual challenges, time limit extensions etc. In theory, once an application is accepted by FTT, HMRC should have around 42 days to prepare a statement of case, you have 42 days to respond and then the FTT will decide if there is a case to be answered and the hearing is listed. In practice it takes much longer than this.

At the moment, a hearing date this year is unlikely unless there are matters of pressing urgency.

The hearings are relatively informal.

more later
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Is anyone

Actually bothering to vote today?

I did check the candidate list for my area, sadly there was no representation from the "monster raving looney party" so will not waste my time with any of the other

Comment

votin

Can you vote to get rid of Lynn Homer???

Oh sorry i forgot, she is one of this unelected people who run the place....
        Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

There is always the option of spoiling your vote to formally register your protest at the lack of suitable candidates. Writing 'None of the Above" on your ballot paper does this and it does have to be noted and counted as such. They like to keep this option quiet, but there is a growing movement to make it a formal option on the ballot paper. Not having that option at the moment doesn't stop you writing it on though.

Comment

Originally posted by BarneyCool View Post
            Actually bothering to vote today?

I did check the candidate list for my area, sadly there was no representation from the "monster raving looney party" so will not waste my time with any of the other
            I point blank refused to vote red or blue as they have both contributed to this fiasco. I would take great pleasure in seeing Gauke kicked out of the treasury!

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
              At the moment, a hearing date this year is unlikely unless there are matters of pressing urgency.
              so...what happens to your APN while you wait for your FFT hearing?
              Do you still have to pay up if you can/accept the fine if you can't (whether you win or not)?
              Or would the APN be put on hold because of the pending FFT hearing?

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                ...This requires that all applicants agree to be bound by a test case(s)...
                Deja vu
                http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by freeranger View Post
                  Will this require everyone having a day in court
                  No.

If any cases actually get heard in court it will be less than a handful.

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
                    From 29th April -

We were talking to another firm but have decided to stick with CCW.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      No.

If any cases actually get heard in court it will be less than a handful.
                      Ok but the cases that do, will the person need to be there or just let it all be handled by the professionals whilst they carry on earning?

Comment

Working...
                      X