• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Data protection issue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data protection issue

Hello
    Bit of advice for a newbie please😄

My wife is a shareholder in my company but not an employee or director. My online accountants sent me my usual remittance email (including salary and expenses) but for no reason have copied my wife's email in. I have queried it and they are likely to respond tomorrow.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed, this a clear breach of my personal information as I have never requested this before. This is clearly a serious matter but not sure what to do. I just don't want to let them off with this as it is a serious violation in my eyes of my data protection.

Thanks

really?

Comment

It's only a serious matter if your wife didn't know how much you were taking out of the company.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I actually don't mind her knowing and she gets a percentage of the dividends. It's the principle of the matter that they have shared my data without asking, it's a pretty basic flaw

Comment

Originally posted by hallb5 View Post
          My wife is a shareholder in my company but not an employee or director
          Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't being a shareholder entitles her to access company records?

Even if that's not the case, yours is a bit of an overreaction. You can always change your accountant, you don't need a petty excuse like this one.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't being a shareholder entitles her to access company records?
            Certain records, yes. But not to the level of salary and expenses paid to other shareholders.

Otherwise, I'd be busy finding out how much everyone earns at all the companies I own shares in.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

How did they get her email address?

Comment

Are you heissinberg?

Comment

Just send a stiff email or phone them up to highlight the issue/principle. Sounds a trivial oversight to me, not something to start bleating about "serious data policy breach".
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Check their terms of business. My firms terms of business include a specific authorisation for us to communicate with spouse and other shareholders, precisely to cover this type of issue. In practice a common sense approach applies, and what we may share depends on the relationship of the parties.

Comment

Working...
                    X