• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Data protection issue"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by KateSteele View Post
    Employees’ personal data should be kept safe, secure and up to date by an employer.
    Data an employer can keep about an employee includes:

1. Name
    2. Address
    3. Date of birth
    4. Sex
    5. Education and qualifications
    6. Work experience
    7. National Insurance number
    8. Tax code
    9. Details of any known disability
    10. Emergency contact details

If you think your data has been misused or that the organisation holding it hasn’t kept it secure, you should contact them and tell them.

Employment Law Solicitors can investigate your claim and take action against anyone who’s misused personal data.
    No employee's involved here, so no relevance for employment law.

If you are the Kate Steele from Capsticks solicitors you should go have a read of the site T&C's.

Leave a comment:

• KateSteele
    replied
    Originally posted by hallb5 View Post
    Hello
    Bit of advice for a newbie please��

My wife is a shareholder in my company but not an employee or director. My online accountants sent me my usual remittance email (including salary and expenses) but for no reason have copied my wife's email in. I have queried it and they are likely to respond tomorrow.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed, this a clear breach of my personal information as I have never requested this before. This is clearly a serious matter but not sure what to do. I just don't want to let them off with this as it is a serious violation in my eyes of my data protection.

Thanks
    Employees’ personal data should be kept safe, secure and up to date by an employer.
    Data an employer can keep about an employee includes:

1. Name
    2. Address
    3. Date of birth
    4. Sex
    5. Education and qualifications
    6. Work experience
    7. National Insurance number
    8. Tax code
    9. Details of any known disability
    10. Emergency contact details

If you think your data has been misused or that the organisation holding it hasn’t kept it secure, you should contact them and tell them.

Employment Law Solicitors can investigate your claim and take action against anyone who’s misused personal data.
    Last edited by cojak; 27 December 2014, 10:54. Reason: Removed the blatant advertising.

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Just send a stiff email or phone them up to highlight the issue/principle. Sounds a trivial oversight to me, not something to start bleating about "serious data policy breach".
    Agreed, totally trivial oversight, I think the OP expects someone to resign over it or a police investigation

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    Check their terms of business. My firms terms of business include a specific authorisation for us to communicate with spouse and other shareholders, precisely to cover this type of issue. In practice a common sense approach applies, and what we may share depends on the relationship of the parties.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Just send a stiff email or phone them up to highlight the issue/principle. Sounds a trivial oversight to me, not something to start bleating about "serious data policy breach".

Leave a comment:

• newmove
    replied
    Are you heissinberg?

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    How did they get her email address?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't being a shareholder entitles her to access company records?
    Certain records, yes. But not to the level of salary and expenses paid to other shareholders.

Otherwise, I'd be busy finding out how much everyone earns at all the companies I own shares in.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by hallb5 View Post
    My wife is a shareholder in my company but not an employee or director
    Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't being a shareholder entitles her to access company records?

Even if that's not the case, yours is a bit of an overreaction. You can always change your accountant, you don't need a petty excuse like this one.

Leave a comment:

• hallb5
    replied
    I actually don't mind her knowing and she gets a percentage of the dividends. It's the principle of the matter that they have shared my data without asking, it's a pretty basic flaw

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    It's only a serious matter if your wife didn't know how much you were taking out of the company.

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied
    really?

Leave a comment:

• hallb5
    started a topic Data protection issue

Data protection issue

Hello
    Bit of advice for a newbie please😄

My wife is a shareholder in my company but not an employee or director. My online accountants sent me my usual remittance email (including salary and expenses) but for no reason have copied my wife's email in. I have queried it and they are likely to respond tomorrow.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed, this a clear breach of my personal information as I have never requested this before. This is clearly a serious matter but not sure what to do. I just don't want to let them off with this as it is a serious violation in my eyes of my data protection.

Thanks

Working...
X