• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New proposal from IPSE - Smoke and mirrors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
    It is a logical conclusion derived from past behaviour of HMRC and recruitment agencies.
    HMRC don't need a special FLC entity to punish contractors. They could do it through the existing PSC stuff.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      HMRC don't need a special FLC entity to punish contractors. They could do it through the existing PSC stuff.
      A new corporate entity type with rules that can be set rather than the precedents of existing Ltd's will make it vastly easier.

Trying to change the rules for Ltd's would have monumentally wide ranging implications, too wide for that to be practical and far too wide for any large scale changes, a new entity type throws those limits away.

It takes a terribly naive mind to imagine that the rules around a new entity type won't be heavily pointed towards tax raising rather than tax mitigating.
      The "optional" element is very easily done away with, just look at the actual reality of the purely "optional" Opt Out of the regulations.

Comment

They can't. There is no legal definition of what a PSC is and even the HMRC guidance is utter tulip...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The Ltd setup isn't designed around contractors and allows them to take the mick, tax-wise. An entity which means contractors pay tax equivalent to what a permie would do might mean we pay more tax, but it's hard to oppose other than from reasons of pure self-interest. It'd probably mean I pay more tax, but I wouldn't mind too much if it removed the whole "you contractors earn 2X as much and pay no tax" argument.

I got into contracting to earn more and have more flexibility, not to get out of paying tax. That was just a happy coincidence
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The Ltd setup isn't designed around contractors and allows them to take the mick, tax-wise. An entity which means contractors pay tax equivalent to what a permie would do might mean we pay more tax, but it's hard to oppose other than from reasons of pure self-interest. It'd probably mean I pay more tax, but I wouldn't mind too much if it removed the whole "you contractors earn 2X as much and pay no tax" argument.

I got into contracting to earn more and have more flexibility, not to get out of paying tax. That was just a happy coincidence
            I think what you actually want to be treated as a self employed person and taxed under the same regime as someone who is self employed. However we cannot do that for reasons from the dim and distant past (that I don't want to repeat here). As such we end up using Limited Companies because that is what we want.

Now if you could create an FLC and be treated as self employed that would be fine (and just about acceptable). However IR35 shows that the won't be the case as HMRC want to treat the contracting skilled self employed as employees even through neither the end client or our end clients want that.

As for taking the mickey paying tax. Sorry I just disagree with that becoming a contractor is a risk and may not pay off. As such (and as with all other business ventures) we should be able to reward those who bear some of the risk (i.e. spouses...) with some of the reward that the risk provided if it works...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

There is no 'taking the mick', as you sacrifice your employment 'rights' for it, as it is conducted on a b2b basis. As for the usual arguments clueless permies trot out, they are irrelevant; the client knows far more than they do about why they engage services via a ltd company and are willing to pay for it for a reason. The biggest joke involved with IR35 is that you are treated as employed for tax purposes but gain no employment rights and also must fork out the NI on your 'employer's' behalf. It is just a tax grab, that was originally intended for a very small subset of contractors.
              Last edited by Zero Liability; 27 November 2014, 16:19.

Comment

Are you saying you would be happy to pay more tax if people stopped calling you names?

Comment

You already have two mechanisms for doing that - either umbrella or by declaring yourself inside IR35 and operating via a limited company.

You'd get out of the argument, and would have no IR35 worries any more.

So why don't you?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    Are you saying you would be happy to pay more tax if people stopped calling you names?
                    Sticks and stones may break my bones, but you can f*** right off if you think I'm paying more tax just because you call me a name.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'm assuming that a FLC would be taxed the same as self-employed if it did go ahead, so no Employer's NI. Just class 4 NIC's.

Would FLC mean we could operate as the same entity i.e. Self Employed with the protection of a LTD and just put all our Income/Expenditure on our self assessment and not need accountants to manage the company accounts. Could you carry forward retained profit?
                      Last edited by BlueSharp; 27 November 2014, 16:28.
                      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Working...
                      X