• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I declare war

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I declare war

So today is the D day. A short summary of things so far:
    • start the contract, did not opt out, everyone's happy.
    • I'm wondering where the paperwork is? Well, there's no paperwork, just keep on working.
    • OK, so it has been almost 2 months, can I get paid? Nopelol, first we set up paperwork, then you submit your timesheets, then you get paid.
    • Client wants to engage with you directly, so we'll prepare another contract
    • A week after that: so the client does not need you anymore, project change. Bye.
    • What about notice period and remaining unpaid work? Well, we'll somehow sort it out - eventually.
    • 6 or 7 weeks of chasing. Yeah brah, we feel ya, we only need confirmation from the client and then you're set.
    • Bonus points: somewhere during chasing period client finally authorises timesheet. Agency's accountant cancels them next day because "they were created with incorrect project code".

So today I have mailed them a letter asking for money. I have no signed contract (and it turns out the agency even did not have a signed agreement witht the client), I have no authorised timesheet - but I have a dream! Safe Collections say I should get my money, as I have worked the days, did not opt out etc. Will see how it goes. It's the first time I'm taking things that far, very curious how this will affect my relationship with the agent. Anything else I should do or watch out for?

2 months?!? What are you, a charity??
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Well it's not two months at the start. It's just one day. Then another. And another.

The wrong project code is a gem. You have to admire their brass necks. As for how it affects your relationship with the agency - I'm feeling magnanimous hence I'd offer to let them live if they settle today.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
        Well it's not two months at the start. It's just one day. Then another. And another.
        Yeah but the problem is that you didn't bother to stop this even after 2 months. It was only when the client decided they milked you enough and terminated the arrangement, that you realized the error in your ways. I could understand starting without a signed contract, extremely bad practice, but sometimes it happens. But going for months without payment ???

i'm not sure if i'm to cry or laugh...

Comment

Originally posted by mrv View Post
          So today is the D day. A short summary of things so far:
          • start the contract, did not opt out, everyone's happy.
          • I'm wondering where the paperwork is? Well, there's no paperwork, just keep on working.
          • OK, so it has been almost 2 months, can I get paid? Nopelol, first we set up paperwork, then you submit your timesheets, then you get paid.
          • Client wants to engage with you directly, so we'll prepare another contract
          • A week after that: so the client does not need you anymore, project change. Bye.
          • What about notice period and remaining unpaid work? Well, we'll somehow sort it out - eventually.
          • 6 or 7 weeks of chasing. Yeah brah, we feel ya, we only need confirmation from the client and then you're set.
          • Bonus points: somewhere during chasing period client finally authorises timesheet. Agency's accountant cancels them next day because "they were created with incorrect project code".

So today I have mailed them a letter asking for money. I have no signed contract (and it turns out the agency even did not have a signed agreement witht the client), I have no authorised timesheet - but I have a dream! Safe Collections say I should get my money, as I have worked the days, did not opt out etc. Will see how it goes. It's the first time I'm taking things that far, very curious how this will affect my relationship with the agent. Anything else I should do or watch out for?
          at the moment I find this whole thing to be more amusing than anything else.
          How amusing are you finding it now?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Possibly my greatest problem is that I believe in people, even agents. The contract was with a big software house, very nice rate, through an agency and agent that are a big agency I have worked before with. I knew they were a bit wobbly when it comes to paperwork, but I was able to sort them out each time. The client was very noce to me too, although seemed a bit too busy when it came to authorising timesheets. It was like a family member becoming drug addict: you know things are getting worse, but where is that line accross which the cousin stops being the cousin you spent your childhood with and becomes a junkie who cannot be invited over? I started working in the middle of a month, didn't mind to wait to get paid for those 1.5 weeks or so. Then a month goes by and maybe another week until I realise nothing is going to happen if I won't push for it. Maybe I should watch more mafia movies to work on my debt management skills

Regarding amusement - I'm pretty amused here too. Read quite a bit on forum about similar cases and talked to Safe Collections, everything indicates there should no problem getting my money, so it looks like a game I should not lose. I'm a bit worried about how long it could take if the agency decides to play dead and stupid, ad generally getting a bit tired of this saga.

A related question: I addressed my letter to the agency, and it will take about a week to arrive (I'm from EU). Should I email my agent to basically tell him what is going to happen, or just let it happen naturally? I wonder if his bosses will be happy if he draws debt collector's attention to the agency.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              Yeah but the problem is that he/she didn't bother to stop this even after 2 months. It was only when the client decided they milked him/her enough and terminated the arrangement, that he/she realized the error in his/her ways. I could understand starting without a signed contract, extremely bad practice, but sometimes it happens. But going for months without payment ???

i'm not sure if i'm to cry or laugh...
              FTFY

Comment

...and this is why I NEVER start without a signed (and reviewed) contract. I've even refused to go onsite on the first day because a contract has not appeared. Cue panicky call by the agency and a contract by email within 2 hours.

You might be lucky in 99% of the cases, but I wouldn't want to risk working for even a few weeks without being paid.....
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

...and talked to Safe Collections, everything indicates there should no problem getting my money...
                  Technically that is correct, if you can prove the rate agreed and prove you did the work then it should be no problem, but this is by no means guaranteed.

Working without a formal contract is always a risk best avoided if at all possible.

A related question: I addressed my letter to the agency, and it will take about a week to arrive (I'm from EU). Should I email my agent to basically tell him what is going to happen, or just let it happen naturally? I wonder if his bosses will be happy if he draws debt collector's attention to the agency.
                  If you have a copy of the letter on file it would make sense to email this across to the agent and also the accounts department at the agency. Follow this up a couple of days later with a call to them with the aim of securing immediate payment or failing that, a definite payment date.
                  The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

I wouldn't bet on getting your notice period money....
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X