• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coffee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tractor View Post
    It's like all this 'skinny, dark, choc choc, latte with a sprinkle of espresso, that'll be £8 quid sir' business.
    For my mate it's always along the lines of:
    "Coffee please",
    "How do you like it?"
    "Tall, skinny, and extra wet". (apparently extra wet means less froth...though I'm sure he doesn't really care about the amount of froth he gets).

To my mind, if you want to claim it, you can. If we're talking more morals then I personally don't think you should, but then I don't understand why working at a temporary workplace means having lunch is allowable, you'd eat regardless of how permanent your workplace was. For many of our clients, the slightly questionable nature of it combined with the hassle of keeping copies of potentially hundreds of receipts means they don't bother.

Comment

Though the original question does seem silly - you'd be buying the coffee if you were an employee - how does it work if a "proper" company does do a Starbucks run for employees once a day?

Someone quoted the rules about a place of business providing tea/coffee facilities for all employees. How does that work if you have a home office? Would you have to have supplies wholly for business use - e.g. a 2nd coffee machine only used during work hours - or like a laptop/mobile phone is personal use acceptable? Again it's not really worth it but I wondered if there was a definite answer. You might for instance buy one of those Nespresso machines, not solely for business use, but solely because of business use i.e. if you weren't working at home all day you'd never buy one.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Though the original question does seem silly - you'd be buying the coffee if you were an employee - how does it work if a "proper" company does do a Starbucks run for employees once a day?

Someone quoted the rules about a place of business providing tea/coffee facilities for all employees. How does that work if you have a home office? Would you have to have supplies wholly for business use - e.g. a 2nd coffee machine only used during work hours - or like a laptop/mobile phone is personal use acceptable? Again it's not really worth it but I wondered if there was a definite answer. You might for instance buy one of those Nespresso machines, not solely for business use, but solely because of business use i.e. if you weren't working at home all day you'd never buy one.
        Surely a company offers tea/coffee facilities because it's easier than everyone having their own kettle etc. It's for convenience. You have a kettle at home so don't need any extra convenience. You get coffee facilities as a perk for being away from home. You live at home you don't need that extra perk.

There isn't a definite answer IMO as there is an element of common sense to be applied here. Once you start applying micro issues to these laws then there is no clear answer. The only way to find out is to get caught doing it and find out who has the biggest cojones when it came to a battle over it.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Surely a company offers tea/coffee facilities because it's easier than everyone having their own kettle etc. It's for convenience. You have a kettle at home so don't need any extra convenience. You get coffee facilities as a perk for being away from home. You live at home you don't need that extra perk.
          An employer has no requirement to offer tea/coffee facilities or allow people to bring in their own. I'm not even sure they have to offer water although I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case.

Sticking a kettle next to a box of PG-Tips and a tub of Nescafe instant is not the same as providing free access to a commercial bean2cup machine.

Comment

If I had a dedicated office building at home (e.g. converted garage, garden studio) then I'd happily put a basic coffee machine through the company books to use in the office, as I would for other furniture including desks, a small cheap sofa perhaps and other normal office furniture. There's a clear delineation between home and work. The office building would be wholly and exclusively for business purposes although the cost of the building itself wouldn't go through the business (for numerous reasons that are off-topic to this thread).

If I was just working from a room in my house (as I currently am), then I wouldn't as it would seem quite silly. I'd just use my kitchen!

No idea where HMRC would draw the line but that's where I would.

Comment

An employer has no requirement to offer tea/coffee facilities or allow people to bring in their own. I'm not even sure they have to offer water although I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case.
              but it would be stupid of them not to bearing in mind (I would guess) every employer on earth provides beverages paid or not. As I said there is a common sense element here.

Sticking a kettle next to a box of PG-Tips and a tub of Nescafe instant is not the same as providing free access to a commercial bean2cup machine.
              And again every case is different so a business decision needs to be made as to how much effort a company puts in to their work force. A free bean to cup solution or a god awful brown muck dispenser. It's all down to the business but at the end of the day providing something is a no brainer. A contractor buying an expensive coffee maker for home on the business is just ridiculous. Probably get away with it but ridiculous none the less. Clients have cleaners to make sure the floors and desks are clean. Does that mean WFH contractors can put their cleaners through the books?

It's an argument that a) isn't really worth having and b) will never get an answer cause the law just doesn't cover micro details like this.

Upshot is if you think its claimable do it, if you think it isn't don't. There is no wrong or right we can fall back on at this level. The OP's suggestion is wrong black and white however.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In theory I could claim a % of the cleaner's cost to for my home office.

I agree about drinks - the point that working from home you might buy things you otherwise wouldn't aside - but wondered if there was a legal precedent. Out of sheer curiosity really.

As TCP mentioned, the more distinct your home office is from the main house, the better. If you have a "granny flat" you set aside as your office then fitting the kitchenette out 'feels' more legitimate than buying a new machine for your regular kitchen.

Comment

Working...
                X