• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coffee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    That said I've recently kicked the habit which is an even better saving!
    This is the best advice so far.

Comment

I probably spend £4-5 on coffee a day. I don't claim it and I wouldn't even consider it. But I have often noticed there are a lot of people, all contractors I presume, that ask for a receipt whenever they get their coffee. I've always found it odd.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
        I probably spend £4-5 on coffee a day. I don't claim it and I wouldn't even consider it. But I have often noticed there are a lot of people, all contractors I presume, that ask for a receipt whenever they get their coffee. I've always found it odd.
        It's like all this 'skinny, dark, choc choc, latte with a sprinkle of espresso, that'll be £8 quid sir' business.

I'm quite happy with a cup of Gold Blend and two sugars thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
          so say £4.50 every day for 46 weeks = £1035 you wouldn't be spending out of your small salary and dividends, or rather £1035 that could go in your savings, or throw at your mortgage.

Wonder how that would look over 10 years, reducing your mortgage by an extra £10,000 (pfft, who still has a mortgage the long time contractors scoff!) and saving a bunch of interest.

Corp tax that would be saved = £207 (over 10 years ~£2000)

Some people will see that as being worth the effort I guess.
          Last edited by jmo21; 10 November 2014, 11:52.

Comment

So a while back as a permy the company took a few of us out for drinks and to a lap dancing club.

So now that I'm contracting...

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
              So a while back as a permy the company took a few of us out for drinks and to a lap dancing club.
              Was it Oracle?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Was it Oracle?
                Haha, busted!

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Was it Oracle?
                  No, it was probably Spearmint Rhino

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    No, it was probably Spearmint Rhino
                    Bet their benefits package is an eye opener
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chervil View Post
                      Fine. I get it. Thanks for the various advice.

I've been trying to do what seems reasonable to me. Having a coffee paid for when I've always had that seemed something that might be OK.

Not claiming mileage when it's so close also seemed to be the right thing to do. It is however a temporary place to work and a client site all being well with 24 month rule so people are right. It's black and white so I shall claim mileage.
                      Unfortunately you need to make sure that what you do seems reasonable to HMRC. Rules surrounding expenses, especially travel and subsistence, are complicated and, on occasion, contradictory so you need to make sure that you understand the basics - find yourself a good accountant that understands contracting - yes it costs but it could end up saving you money and hassle in the long run
                      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X