• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legal Action by Employment Business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal Action by Employment Business

Hello All,

So here is the situation.

Signed contract role on 2nd September to start from 1st October. Got another offer on 16th, accepted it. Told the first one on 17th September, and sent an email confirming termination of contract. Now they are threatening of legal action. Although in Schedule of Consultancy Services, either party has two weeks' termination notice. Which in this case is spot on, as the contract was going to start exactly two weeks after I served the notice.

Still awaiting a contact from their legal team.

What shall I do?

Originally posted by mdhd View Post
    Hello All,

So here is the situation.

Signed contract role on 2nd September to start from 1st October. Got another offer on 16th, accepted it. Told the first one on 17th September, and sent an email confirming termination of contract. Now they are threatening of legal action. Although in Schedule of Consultancy Services, either party has two weeks' termination notice. Which in this case is spot on, as the contract was going to start exactly two weeks after I served the notice.

Still awaiting a contact from their legal team.

What shall I do?
    If you are sure you are in the right, tough it out.

Next time, if you don't intend to see a commitment through, don't make it.

Comment

What shall I do?
      If you have terminated the contract in line with the terms contained therein, then there is nothing that they can do. If you haven't, then you need to look at what they could do.

And hope that nothing happens to the other contract and it all falls through.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sit and wait.

If you've terminated the contract with the required notice it's difficult to see what any claim would be based on.

It's unlikely they will do anything as it's not worthwhile and just a bluff.

Comment

Still amazes me, haven't started the contract. Still within time to give notice before contract commences.

Another question would be, is it worth including Professional indemnity and Legal Cover just in case?

The other contract is solid, so not in my to-worry-list.

Originally posted by griffin View Post
          Sit and wait.

If you've terminated the contract with the required notice it's difficult to see what any claim would be based on.

It's unlikely they will do anything as it's not worthwhile and just a bluff.
          Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          If you have terminated the contract in line with the terms contained therein, then there is nothing that they can do. If you haven't, then you need to look at what they could do.

And hope that nothing happens to the other contract and it all falls through.
          Originally posted by tractor View Post
          If you are sure you are in the right, tough it out.

Next time, if you don't intend to see a commitment through, don't make it.

Comment

Agent bluster and bullying. You've made the agent work a little harder for his cash. F him and man up.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Agent bluster and bullying. You've made the agent work a little harder for his cash. F him and man up.
              He already has, that is the problem

Comment

Still amazed and sitting tight for what they claim. But haven't started the contract, gave them two weeks' notice. And yet being called "unprofessional and damaging to both client and employment business".

Comment

Still amazed and sitting tight for what they claim. But haven't started the contract, gave them two weeks' notice. And yet being called "unprofessional and damaging to both client and employment business".
                  Will to be entirely fair, you are and you have. You don't sign contracts on the off chance you may actually complete them unless something else turns up in the meanwhile, the client will now have a delay on their planned workload and the agency has just scrapped their effort and will have to start again for no more fees (and you've probably screwed the agent's bonus as well). I think I'd be a little bit annoyed.

However, as you say, if it's in the contract there's not a hell of a lot they can do about it.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It may be unprofessional, and I don't endorse it, but you have at least worked within the contract so it's merely rude. You would be livid if they had cancelled the contract after you'd signed it, but the client clearly would do just that if the work got cancelled for some reason.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X