• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Registration check - evidence?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT Registration check - evidence?

Hi all,

I applied for VAT before I got my first contract, at the time HMRC declined my application for VAT as I 'failed to provide sufficient supporting evidence, as requested in section 4 of the VAT 5 letter'.

I now have started my contract, so what evidence should I present to them? I'm planning on sending Cater Allen bank account letters, public indemnity and liability insurance purchases, the contract and details of my website too.

Should I also send purchases - I've bought a micro server and a new laptop for work.

Also can I remove the daily rate from the contract?

Anything else I should include?

You should present to them the supporting evidence as requested in section 4 of the VAT 5 letter.

Why isn't your accountant doing this? With respect you don't seem to have a clue....

Comment

Originally posted by rashm2k View Post
      Also can I remove the daily rate from the contract?
      Why on earth would you want to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Cos it's £120/day?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Commercially sensitive no? I don't want HMRC knowing my day rate, that's between me and my client.

I thought my accountant should be doing it, but they seem to be a little lazy, going to change them once this is done.

And although section 4 gives some examples of what to include it states it's not an exhaustive list - hence my question.

Comment

Commercially sensitive no? I don't want HMRC knowing my day rate, that's between me and my client.

I thought my accountant should be doing it, but they seem to be a little lazy, going to change them once this is done.

And although section 4 gives some examples of what to include it states it's not an exhaustive list - hence my question.
            Given that you'll be charging VAT on it then submitting a quarterly return to HMRC telling them how much I think they'll be able to make a pretty good guess
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Ok fair enough, but looking to see what else I should be including?

Comment

Ok fair enough, but looking to see what else I should be including?
                Certificate of Incorporation?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Certificate of Incorporation?
                  I assume HMRC want some evidence of trading and making VATable supplies. Contract would be evidence of this.

Agree with the concensus that your accountant should be doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    I assume HMRC want some evidence of trading and making VATable supplies. Contract would be evidence of this.

Agree with the concensus that your accountant should be doing this.
                    I dunno if I got lucky, but SJD got me VAT registered before I'd done anything whatsoever with the company apart from make a handful of purchases.

Comment

Working...
                    X