• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "VAT Registration check - evidence?"

Collapse

• AptoAccounting
    replied
    No trick questions

This is a standard check and nothing to worry about. It doesn't necessarily mean your accountant has done anything wrong in the application.

My understanding is they they are not entirely random checks. If your accountant has only recently started submitting a high volume of VAT registrations for its clients then they are more likely to be checked.

I've come across this once before for a client and the matter got resolved very quickly and with little fuss. From memory, I provided my client with a purchase invoice for some accountancy services. I explained to HMRC that my client had started a contract but not yet invoiced the client, hence no sales invoice.

The matter actually got resolved by email! Yes that's right - email! HMRC have email. That almost deserves to be a thread in it's own right!

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by rashm2k View Post
    Well my accountants aren't particularly clever, if you catch my drift.
    Why did you engage them? Why haven't you binned them?

Leave a comment:

• rashm2k
    replied
    Well my accountants aren't particularly clever, if you catch my drift.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Commercially sensitive no? I don't want HMRC knowing my day rate, that's between me and my client.

I thought my accountant should be doing it, but they seem to be a little lazy, going to change them once this is done.

And although section 4 gives some examples of what to include it states it's not an exhaustive list - hence my question.
    LOL!!! Just LOL!

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    I dunno if I got lucky, but SJD got me VAT registered before I'd done anything whatsoever with the company apart from make a handful of purchases.
    Same here, maybe HMRC are getting stricter about it or its just random checks?

Leave a comment:

• boxingbantz
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    I dunno if I got lucky, but SJD got me VAT registered before I'd done anything whatsoever with the company apart from make a handful of purchases.
    Yup.

Nixon Williams sorted it all out for me.

Dunno who rash is signed up with but they clearly aren't doing their jobs properly.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    I have never had any VAT registration turned down in 14 years and multiple companies?

I have had phone calls from HMRC when registering, on 2 occasions, and I think that were to establish that I was actually trading?

What happened when you phoned them to ask why your registration was denied and what was actually missing?

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    I hadn't started invoicing when I got registered. In fact, I was VAT registered before I even had my bank account. I think Nixon Williams had an arrangement with Cater Allen where they could get the account number allocated immediately so they could go ahead with the VAT registration. Another reason to let an accountant handle it, it's what you pay them for.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    I think they like an invoice or 2 to show you are trading.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    I assume HMRC want some evidence of trading and making VATable supplies. Contract would be evidence of this.

Agree with the concensus that your accountant should be doing this.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Certificate of Incorporation?
    I assume HMRC want some evidence of trading and making VATable supplies. Contract would be evidence of this.

Agree with the concensus that your accountant should be doing this.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Ok fair enough, but looking to see what else I should be including?
    Certificate of Incorporation?

Leave a comment:

• rashm2k
    replied
    Ok fair enough, but looking to see what else I should be including?

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Commercially sensitive no? I don't want HMRC knowing my day rate, that's between me and my client.

I thought my accountant should be doing it, but they seem to be a little lazy, going to change them once this is done.

And although section 4 gives some examples of what to include it states it's not an exhaustive list - hence my question.
    Given that you'll be charging VAT on it then submitting a quarterly return to HMRC telling them how much I think they'll be able to make a pretty good guess

Leave a comment:

• rashm2k
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Why on earth would you want to do that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X