• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wall cabinet (1000mm wide approx.) down and disassembled

Having a little rest and cooling down while I decide whether to take it to the tip now or leave it until tomorrow and put up with the bits being in the way.

Comment

One house vacced, doesn't look as if vaccing the 2nd will happen this week.

Sunday afternoon shop done.

Reduced fan heater purchased from Morrisons. Ideal weather for doing it.

Due to the state of the carrots, some more lentil <pfffft> soup is on the hob, alongside some bol for the spag that's also on the hob,

Some nice lamb's liver purchased from Tesco to replace all that's been eaten over the last fortnight/3 weeks.
      Also defrosting the fridge since it was getting more & more difficult to get stuff out of the freezer compartment.

Was hoping to do some gardening but since the fridge is still doing its thing, that's gone out of the window.

Spag bol was ok but I think they've taken a lot of salt and sugar out of the dolmio stuff.
      Last edited by zeitghost; 21 May 2017, 17:30.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Wall cabinet (1000mm wide approx.) down and disassembled

Having a little rest and cooling down while I decide whether to take it to the tip now or leave it until tomorrow and put up with the bits being in the way.
        I took it to the tip. This turned out to be a mistake, as it reminded me I intended to check the car's tyre pressures, oil, etc. so that got done too. Then, when I set out, I discovered a match had just finished over at the football stadium. This meant that the road past there, which is the quickest way to the tip, was closed. Furthermore, all pedestrian crossings, and many other spots, were infested with pedestrians clad in blue shirts who didn't seem to care much for the Green Cross Code

Once I finally got to the tip and disposed of the cabinet, I realised that the way back would be massively congested with post-match traffic, so I ended up going by a convoluted route along the ring road which eventually brought me back heading towards the worst of the traffic. Not sure it saved much time, but at least it was time moving rather than stuck in a traffic jam

And with that done, the wall where the cabinet used to reside has been washed down and, once it's dry, I can put the first coat on

Not sure what to do about cooking dinner, as the contents of the cabinet are covering most available surfaces

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I took it to the tip. This turned out to be a mistake, as it reminded me I intended to check the car's tyre pressures, oil, etc. so that got done too. Then, when I set out, I discovered a match had just finished over at the football stadium. This meant that the road past there, which is the quickest way to the tip, was closed. Furthermore, all pedestrian crossings, and many other spots, were infested with pedestrians clad in blue shirts who didn't seem to care much for the Green Cross Code

Once I finally got to the tip and disposed of the cabinet, I realised that the way back would be massively congested with post-match traffic, so I ended up going by a convoluted route along the ring road which eventually brought me back heading towards the worst of the traffic. Not sure it saved much time, but at least it was time moving rather than stuck in a traffic jam

And with that done, the wall where the cabinet used to reside has been washed down and, once it's dry, I can put the first coat on

Not sure what to do about cooking dinner, as the contents of the cabinet are covering most available surfaces
          Take away?
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Take away?
            Yes, I think another trip to the Chinese might be in order - after all, it'll be a nice treat for them to see me two days in a row

Comment

The first coat has now been applied. I'd poured out a little too little paint so it's looking rather patchy towards the bottom, but the second coat will take care of that; and even if it doesn't, the base unit's getting fitted there anyway, so at worst somebody will see my shoddy workmanship in about thirty years when they're doing the same thing I'm doing now

As most of that area will be covered up by cupboards, and it's also furthest from the window and in the shade of the chimney breast, I'm not going to bother letting it dry overnight - I'll give it a couple of hours, then whack the second coat on

Comment

It dried (enough) pretty quickly, so I've just slapped the second coat on. Sorted

Comment

Went to the Chinese. The woman there was distracted again, this time because there was something wrong with the receipt printer attached to the computer that runs the ordering software. Its paper had got screwed up at some point, and now she'd sorted it out, it was spewing out an apparently infinite number of receipts. If she opened the lid to stop it, it emitted an ear-piercing whistle (way too loud to call it a beep) every second or two, but as soon as she closed the lid, the receipts started pouring forth.

She managed to get the printer queue window open; it looked like it was running something like Win2K, though it wouldn't surprise me if it was Windows 95. Anyway, although the ordering application itself is in Chinese, the system language still appeared to be English. The printer queue was clearly extremely full, so I guided her to the "Delete all waiting documents" option on the menu, and peace descended

There appeared to be some further problem, possibly the reason for it spewing out all these receipts she neither expected nor wanted, but she decided to address this by the trusty method of turning it off and on again; and while that was happening, my beef chow mein was ready, so I made good my escape
                  Last edited by NickFitz; 21 May 2017, 21:35.

Comment

And now, I'm going to treat myself to a beer and some telly

Comment

After a resounding victory in cricket, TFBSZ
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X