• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When do you become desperate enough to go perm?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do you become desperate enough to go perm?

After enjoying the end of summer w/o any work I am beginning to get concerned.
    The warchest that was designed to last 6 months and after 3 or so is nearing depletion due to client not paying and some other unfavorable circumstances...
    In such situation what steps would you go for?
    Perm role until a suitable contract is found?
    Contract at a very low rate?
    Loan?

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    After enjoying the end of summer w/o any work I am beginning to get concerned.
    The warchest that was designed to last 6 months and after 3 or so is nearing depletion due to client not paying and some other unfavorable circumstances...
    In such situation what steps would you go for?
    Perm role until a suitable contract is found?
    Contract at a very low rate?
    Loan?
    Anything - been a contractor since 1992 and had two permie stints...

1. 2001-2003 - not the most brilliant of times, don't wanna go on about it but ended up jobless and alone with five kids not in a very good state of mind. Got through that with a permie WHF mostly job, for which I will be forever grateful.....

2. 2009, finished after 3 year contract, then - nothing, nada, nichogo. Panicked a bit but after 7 months still had 50% of the Warchest left and ended up in tulip role for a few months till I got a permie job locally, was good - a good £65k pa here in Leeds until Mr Dick Head - Ur New Manager came along and started with the 1-2-1's and SIT's and New Looks and RAGS and CASCADES and Straight effing talking. I could not stand it so went back to contracting in a better frame of mind and never regretted it.

Basically as a Contractor you do whatever is necessary, I say that on my way to the bus stop on Mon Morn at 4:32 am on my commute up Further North on an ok rate but less than normal, keep saying it, keep going and keep invoicing...

You do whatever is necessary!!

Comment

Low rate contract.

Could never stomach the ethos of permiedom.

Comment

When you find AussieLong has joined your team
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

How picky are you being? Is there absolutely no contracts out there for you?

I was in a situation about 10 years ago when there was "No" work out there. When I say No work, I mean no work that was commutable for me. After about 3 weeks with very little warchest, I thought I'd better go outside my comfort zone and stay away for the week. I got a contract in a matter of days which was only 6 weeks long and tied my up nicely till my next commutable contract.

Sometimes you've got to go outside your comfort zone when needs must. Fortunately it was the only time I needed to work away in 12 or so contracts, but I'm not ruling out that it may not be the last...

Comment

It's tough out there I would say, and you've already been out for 3 months. Go for permie and contract.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Beggars can't be choosers.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I don't really buy the "have to be desperate" line. For all the pretentions (is this a word) of freedom that contracting gives you, it's still basically having a job. So if you need the money take a different job for a bit; you can always leave.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I couldn't hack feigning interest for the company i worked at.

Also as a permie-n00b you won't be treated like the contractor-god that you are, you'll be treated initially as inferior because you don't know the system as well as maggots who've been there for years.

Comment

I'm switching to permy (a client I have never worked while contracting for if HMRC are watching !).

I switched primary because long term I can make more £ as a permy in my sector. Contract rate wise I've been treading water I've peaked on my rate, taking permy will lower my income at the start but give it a year or two and I should be on par again with contracting, then after that £ wise I should leave contracting behind.

Second reason was I had enough of HMRC and IR35.

Thats the plan anyway whether it works out and I can hack being a permy is a different thing, if it doesnt work out I will be contracting again.
                    I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Working...
                    X