• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When do you become desperate enough to go perm?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do you become desperate enough to go perm?

Currently looking...
    one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Or NWPerm2Contract but he won't be there long.....
      Boom, boom! LOL!

But absolutely spot on!
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

For the Right Company, with the Right Role offering the Right Money I would.
        That's not to say that I dislike contracting but I do think that avoiding permie roles means missing out on some potentially fantastic opportunities.

I came very close to accepting an offer with a consultancy 18 months ago, part of me is glad I didn't accept, part of me thinks that at the level I was going in I could have made a massive difference there.

I started contracting to avoid the permie rut and TBH I'm now finding myself stuck in a contracting rut
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

About 18 months ago.

It wasn't really desperation, but there just weren't that many contract roles and when agents were calling me all the time about permie roles I felt the writing was probably on the wall. As it happened I was offered a decent role, on a salary that wasn't too much of a drop; that was an easy commute, and promised more interesting work than anything I'd done as a contractor.

I was actually offered a 4 week contract on the same day as the permie job, and so said yes to both.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Or NWPerm2Contract but he won't be there long.....
            3 months and counting.....

I am gonna prove you wrong by the end of this gig...

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              3 months and counting.....

I am gonna prove you wrong by the end of this gig...
              Has your gig ended yet?
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                Has your gig ended yet?
                Nope still got a long way to go yet.....

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
                  After enjoying the end of summer w/o any work I am beginning to get concerned.
                  The warchest that was designed to last 6 months and after 3 or so is nearing depletion due to client not paying and some other unfavorable circumstances...
                  In such situation what steps would you go for?
                  Perm role until a suitable contract is found?
                  Contract at a very low rate?
                  Loan?
                  I interviewed an 18 year (not old) contractor who'd been without work for 13 months... he's still holding strong by the looks of it. Pathetic interview all the same, I wouldn't let 'em wash my car.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
                    After enjoying the end of summer w/o any work I am beginning to get concerned.
                    The warchest that was designed to last 6 months and after 3 or so is nearing depletion due to client not paying and some other unfavorable circumstances...
                    In such situation what steps would you go for?
                    Perm role until a suitable contract is found?
                    Contract at a very low rate?
                    Loan?
                    Contract. Always. For me at least.

My situation: six months on the bench, but only 2 months of that actually looking for a new role.

Market seems to have picked up quite a bit in the last couple of weeks (and, for once, agents seem to be in agreement on this.) Warchest was deliberately built up over the last few years to be 5 years+ worth, as the market has been so bad recently. If I can't find a contract within 5 years, it's time to go and do something else. No idea what, but probably early retirement.

Permie? I'd rather die.

YMMV.
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                      Nope still got a long way to go yet.....
                      And now?
                      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Working...
                      X