• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When do you become desperate enough to go perm?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    I don't know how long you've been contracting so it's difficult to advise (judge?!) your situation.

I have always viewed contracting as a temporary part of my working life. Temporary doesn't have to mean a few months; in fact it's been 8 years for me and if I'm fortunate I will get another year.

I have appreciated every single year that I have contracted and I have for better or worse planned for the worst case scenario: I have been paying off my mortgage, saving, investing and trying to build up residual income. In some ways I have treated each year of contract as my last, but that's also because I'm highly skilled in an end-of-line product and fully expect next year to be my last in this field.

I will most likely have to go permie after this contract ends next year, but I have put myself in such a position that I can (hopefully) be that little more selective. Nothing is ever constant though, and unplanned events can turn your life on a dime, but you've got to plan best you can and hope that things turn out even better.

If you do go permie, make sure you get something out of it too, I mean like in terms of training, new skills, fulfillment or whatever. There has to be something that keeps you happy.

Best of luck.
    To think I wrote this post only a week ago and am now considering giving up my contract for a permie 'opportunity'!

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
      And now?
      And now what?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Unless the low rate is so low that you're better off permie, I'd stick with contracting.
        Or the offer is so good that you're better off permie

just sayin like...
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

When do you become desperate enough to go perm?

I would take lower rate or travel further. I could not be arsed with appraisals, one to ones, where do you want to be in 5 yrs rubbish

Want to do this forever if poss. Problem is 1 ir35 hunt from hmrc would ruin anyone for good.

Comment

Working...
          X