• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting straight out of uni. Is it doable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting straight out of uni. Is it doable?

I'm a C# developer with a pretty high first class degree in computer science from a very good uni (also 94+ in all modules related to software engineering). I have worked for 3 IT companies already (roughly 2 years in total now, all .NET related experience). Rather than going for a permie job after graduating - is it feasible to attempt to swim the contractor waters? I have a bit of money saved up so could potentially survive upto 6 months of no pay/set up costs etc. If this is possible - what kind of challenges should I expect/research? Thanks!

Doable? Yes. Easy? No.

I know developers with computer science degrees who'd worked for various companies during their course. They were unanimous that when they started working for real, they learned more in that first year of permie work than they'd ever learned at university.

I.e. you're probably not experienced enough to do it.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If someone offers you a contract, yes
      If not, then no

We are like luvvie actors - either doing a gig or resting.

Some on here rest more than most............

Comment

Worked for three different companies over 6 years before contracting. My first contract was specifically to do with my experience of those previous jobs. And I wouldn't have got those previous jobs without my degree.

You can always take shortcuts, just don't expect big prizes.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

There are contracts for junior positions; obviously the rates are low. You would probably be better off getting a good job and get a few years experience under your belt.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

I'd say it's not realistic at all. So many students exit uni and think they can do it all. What they can't do is work in am office environment and have all the softskills and experience required for a start, let alone beauracracy, process etc.
            Your first year will be learning all that.

You are asking are you worth the same money that someone that's been at it for years. The answer is a flat no.

If people can leave uni and start contracting then you could argue contracting is broken..but then that argument is already beingn had I guess.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I am not a code monkey so can't comment directly, but there are lots of low rate junior jobs out there that the professionals won't touch, if you are happy to take those crap jobs it's feasible you may be able to break into contracting, however it will probably be in a high turn over sweatshops where you won't actually learn much to help you progress, other than how to cut corners and deliver the minimal viable product.

As others have said 2-3 years real world experience in a graduate permie job (where again you will be flogged and worked like a dog) will stand you in better stead for a long term contracting career.
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'm currently working with some bint that came straight into contracting from Uni - now in her late 20's she has never known anything else

She appears to lack any social skills and is as mad as a hatter, whether this is at any way related I cannot say.

Work wise she appears to keep getting gigs
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Back in 1994 I went straight into contracting.

However I already had 1 years IT experience prior to university and had worked through-out university for Philips on CD-i programs. Hence it looked to everyone like I had 4 years experience.

And the contracting work I was doing was html and every other technology related to it during that infancy period of a new fangled thing called the web. Granted I only had 6 months knowledge of it, but that was 6 months more than anyone else and I could show relevant experience from elsewhere.

So if there is a totally brand new industry where you can clearly show you are more experienced than everyone else go for it.

Otherwise find a graduate job (yes I know they aren't well paid) and knuckle down to get some proper experience.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Doable, ask Suity. Next!
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                    X